1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Update on turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 07:42 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on turn signal problem

Can't seem to get the Reply function to work in my earlier thread about my turn signal/electrical problem. Been running it down and have checked all the fusible links under the power distribution center...all good; found no power to the hazard light circuit through the PDC, so plan to wire in a fused wire/circuit to fix that; checked the multi-function switch...it's good; plan to check the ignition switch tomorrow...for voltage on all wires when the switch is on. If the ignition switch isn't at fault, guess I'll wire in a new left turn signal circuit to the multi-function switch...gotta love MOPAR wiring.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Good luck!

Old 01-22-2010, 08:51 PM
mazda7475
Veteran

i ran into that and i know the chances of this happening is pretty slim but my 4 way flasher button was pushed in but my 4 ways did not work because the flasher unit was loose in the fuse box under the dash, real fluke but only takes a second to check. i was lucky to find it. had a lot of trouble keeping that flasher relay in the fuse box, don't know if it's a problem with daks.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:29 AM
tmacdakota
Veteran

Thanks for the tip...both flashers in the fuse box are good. What happened to cause this I don't know, but the basic problem is this: With engine running, the left front flasher bulb and left flasher indicator bulb on the dash stay lit all the time, but not the left rear bulb...in other words, no left turn signals...but the right side work fine. Here's the weird part: If you turn the truck off and turn the key to accessory position or the On position, both right and left turn signals work...no problem. I've checked the bulbs...all good; checked all the fuses and relays...all good; checked all the fusible links...all good; re-wired a direct current line to the hazard flashers...they work fine if the truck is Off, or if the key is at AC or ON....but don't flash if the truck is running. Somethings way screwy. Also checked and replaced the multi-function switch. Right now, all roads point to the ignition switch...I'll check it today to make sure all the wires coming out of it have current when the truck is running. Hope to god that's the problem...I really don't want to wire in a separate left flasher circuit.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:00 PM
mazda7475
Veteran

wow! never heard of this in 30 years of working on rigs. your probably right about the ignition switch, only thing i can think of.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:48 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran

Well it's not the ignition switch...replaced that today and still have the problem. The only thing I can figure right now is I've got a short in the wiring somewhere. If more digging for info doesn't turn up something, guess I'll wire in a new wire from the front left turn signal and indicator light to the turn signal wire on the multi-function switch. If that doesn't do it, I'll have to bypass the multi-function switch with another switch somehow. Love the truck, but 17 year old wiring sux.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:06 PM
mazda7475
Veteran

bypass, my favorite wiring solution.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:32 AM
tmacdakota
Veteran

I'm leanin toward a bypass, too, Mazda...and may have discovered the root of this weird problem. Was checking all electrical harness connectors yesterday for good connections...even the fuel pump connector cause I recently changed the pump. I noticed one of the wires on the pump connector looked squirrely...kinda deformed. Looked closer and found a break in the insulation next to the frame. I'll have to run this wire all the way to the PDC under the hood and check it. It coulda grounded itself on the frame and overheated the wire..even though the pump is workin fine (but not the dam gas gauge). I'm thinkin if it overheated cause it grounded out, it coulda melted another wire next to it in the harness...giving me a power short to the front left turn signal bulb and dash blinker light. I'll have to check that one today...a bypass might work if that wire that overheated runs from the pump connector to the PDC. I'll post back as I go on with this.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:50 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran

The fuel pump wire, dark green with black stripe, looked kinda deformed up in the PDC under the hood, too. But it still carries current with the chafe in the wire fixed. Guess it shorted on the frame back by the connector. Tried to bypass it, but no go. Next step, bypassing the short in the turn signal and dash indicator light.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:41 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

LOL! My turns stop working today. So maybe my small experience will help. I checked the hazards and they worked. I checked the fuse, then for power at the fuse. All good. Then I swapped the turn flasher for the hazards, nothing. Then put the turn flasher in the hazards spot and it didn't work. So I knew the turn flasher was dead. But I thought I had another problem since the turns were not working with the good flasher.

So I got out the manual looked over all the wires. I got another turn switch that I had laying around. I was about to start the swap and test wires then noticed I left the hazards button on since I tested the bad flasher. I turned it off and sure enough the turns started working with the other flasher.

So my lesson is check to make sure to turn off the hazard switch after testing it. So all I need is a new $6.00 flasher.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 01-24-2010 at 11:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Update on turn signal problem