1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

92 v6 with intermittent start

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 11:24 AM
frisbeedisc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 v6 with intermittent start

Sometimes she will start, other times just the starter turning. When I turn on the ignition I hear the fuel pump start. When it does start, if i pull the full pump relay it will beginn to shutdown. I believe it is an electrical problem. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:59 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to DodgeForum!

First off, what do you mean by "just the starter turning"? Does that mean it is engaged to the flywheel and the engine is turning over but not firing, or does that mean the starter turns but doesn't kick forward to engage the flywheel? Please be specific.

Also, when it starts and you said you pulled the fuel pump relay, of course it will die... I don't understand why you did that?

When it doesn't start, have you checked for power in the ignition system? My first guess is the power splice that provides power to the fuel pump and ASD (auto shutdown relay) is corroded... its a common issue with these trucks. The ASD relay provides the ignition system with its power source. Here is a writeup about it from faq...

Truck will not start- A common problem in the trucks, primarily ones made between 1993 Through 1995, was failure (corrosion) of the splice that feeds battery power to the automatic shutdown (ASD) and fuel pump relays. If these relays do not get battery power, your truck will not be able to start. This could also cause intermittent problems, or could possibly "kill" the truck when driving down the road. The splice is located underneath the Power Distribution Center (PDC), which is the black box located behind the battery. To Troubleshoot

Old 02-26-2010, 12:55 PM
frisbeedisc

The engine is turning over. it will not fire. I checked the power splice. it looked fine, I respliced it anyway. The truck now starts. Thanks for the reply.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:55 PM
frisbeedisc

The problem turned out to be the autoshutdown relay.

Quick Reply: 92 v6 with intermittent start