1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

HELP dodge experts

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 06:20 PM
dak5ota9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP dodge experts

Ok so, i own a 1990 dodge dakota le 3.9 longbed single cab, 5 speed. It's got around 172000 on it. About a week ago, i gased up at a citgo, & got a sh** ton of bad gas, about 5 gallons, 2 OF WHICH WAS WATER. RRRRRRR!!! since then, i have a parts ruck, so i pulled the tank out of my truck, & drained it, only to find a small hot on top of the plactic tank, near the sending unit seal. so i said screw it ans put in a tank & sending unit set that i KNOW/ KNEW was ok. as i parked it 2 months ago fine. I gased it up with the new tank, & it came up to 12 or 13lbs ( i think) which is plenty for the tbi fuel system on this truck, and it seems as though EVERY time i start it, it dies less then 10 or 15 seconds later... I looked in the throttle body, and saw that when my buddy tuurned it over & started it, it puffed some fuel in out of the 2 injector pods, then as soon as it goes to run( after rich start up) they stop pushing fuel. And as soon as it dies, They puff one last little bit of gas in, so it can start & do the exact same thing again. I replaced the tank, pump, & filter. It starts, then dies. over & over. There are only a few more things i know to try, & I'm getting close to my whits end. Im not sure if it could be related, but i also have ( recently) developed a wiring issue, it seams that i might have a 12 + grounding & backfeeding somewhere, as my tail-light circuit blows 30 amp fuses as soon as i go to move, & i was sitting in the living room and to my dismay, the tail-lights & backup lights came on & my auto start started up & it backed into a snowbank, since i have disconnected the auto-start power wire( its own wire) & have not touched that system, If you see any co-relation between issues, or have some tech advice it would help, Its My daily, & I cant go without it much longer. Thanks, John

Old 03-03-2010, 06:38 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The injectors get their power feed from the automatic shutdown relay. As does the fuel pump, fuel injectors, ignition coil, and oxygen sensor.

I'd make sure your automatic shutdown relay is working great.

The fuel pump, rear lights, and front lights (and probably other items) share a ground, which terminates (provides contact) on the left fender side shield (Per the service manual)
Are you sure you didn't damage any wires during removal/installation of the fuel tank/pump?
I'd double check.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:45 PM
dak5ota9

The ASD is what i thought, but was not & aren't sure, Anyway it's too late tonight with no garage. Thanks for the advice none the less, I feel better about trying the ASD in the mornign, I have a fluke & all test lights imaginable. I also did make sure the tank & sending unit lines are all clear of nicks, cuts & peeling.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:16 PM
dak5ota9

So, I checked over everything pretty meticulously & did not find any bad grounds, or power to ground situations. I replaced all but one relay, Not sure which one, but i will in the morning, & had my fluke multimeter ready. I took the actual power reading of the injectors from turn key, t startup & stall, and it maxed at .20 or .21 volts input and faded as it died. seems normal to fuel delivery all but for the low volts? should it be higher,. my education so far has been that even a low v injector runs at least 1.4 -2 volts... Any ideas anyone?

Old 03-04-2010, 10:19 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Injectors receive, or should receive, 12 volts (or, battery voltage).

Quick Reply: HELP dodge experts