1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

4 Cylinder to 318

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 01:06 AM
Slimjim707
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Cylinder to 318

So I have a '93 RCSB 5 speed Dakota with a 4 cylinder in it and I just picked up a complete '01 RCSB with the 5.2 in it. Everything's good, except the 46re, which is on it's 5th rebuild, and is totally shot. I also picked up a good NV3500 complete with clutch. I tried searching, but couldn;t find anything specific to what I'm looking for. I was wondering if anyone has done a swap like this and could give me some advice. My main concern is the motor mounts; I know I'm going to have to do some fabrication, and was looking to see if anyone had a write up or possibly pics. Any info anyone out there could post would be a big help. Thanks.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:21 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Nothing specifically for the 4cly swap. But a few have done it. The little info we could get off of them said they it is an easy swap. I'm guessing it all bolts in place. For V6 to V8 check out the FAQ2. If you do the swap do a write up for us.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:08 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you need to know what to do to get the transmission behind the engine, I have a write up linked in faq2 about it.

As for getting the engine into the truck, I think I remember hearing the mounts are the same, but I'm not positive.

But assuming you get the engine and transmission in the truck without any problems, what are you going to do for wiring? Are you going to try to wire in the OBDII computer and harnesses? That would suck to say the least. But all 4 cyl are throttle body injected, and your engine is port injected, so you are going to need an OBDI engine harness and computer.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Slimjim707
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm going to use the computer and wiring from the Ram, and just hopefully unplug the connector for the transmission from the PCM. I know the engine runs fine without the trans hooked up at all, and I'm not worried about a CEL. Thats good news about the few who have done it saying it's an easy swap. I measured the engine in the Ram and the engine bay in the 'Kota and it looks like it's gonna be a little tight, but I think electric fans will solve a little of the clearance issue. The motor mounts in the Ram appear to be a lot farther forward in the engine bay than those in the 'Kota, but I guess I won't know for sure until the motors come out and the fun begins.

Quick Reply: 4 Cylinder to 318