1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Seat Belts not restraining

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 03:35 PM
nicknc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Belts not restraining

In a 1993 Dodge Dakota 318 extended cab my little brother picked up off of craigslist, we've found that all four seatbelts will not restrain or "lock" when we yank on them or attempt to simulate a braking incident that would normally lock the belts.

I could understand one seat belt being "busted", but all four seems strange to me. The ABS light and brake light are also stuck on although we've changed out the speed sensor, fuses, bled the brakes, and replaced the pads and rotors in the front. I haven't chased wires on the ABS yet, as we had other issues to address.

Would there be any reason other than having four broken seat belts that all four would not restrain properly? The funny thing is that they retract fantastically, something I haven't seen in a 1st generation Dakota in a while!

Also, we're having a lot of problems finding a 1st gen Dakota in any junkyard around here with seat belts. Will seatbelts from a 2nd gen work if I swap out the receptacles as well? How about from another vehicle?

Thanks!

Old 03-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not to sure if they were designed to lock up. I don't believe mine does. The service manual has a section for the seat belts if I remember right. You can download it from the FAQ in this section.

I'm sure a 2nd Gen or any other will NOT be a direct bolt in. But any thing can fit with modification.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Applehugger
Rookie

The Dakota seat-belts do lock up, but not like most cars which lock up with any force. I took mine apart to clean them. There's a little weight that will fall forward locking up the belt only when the truck decelerates rapidly. It does nothing to pull on it from above. So try getting up some speed and slamming on the brakes (carefully.) If they still don't lock up, then you have an issue.

The brake light and ABS light have nothing to do with the seat-belts by the way, there is no electronic tethering to the seat-belts whatsoever.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:27 AM
nicknc

Hey thanks guys. My brother took it out on the road and reported that the driver's seat belt did lock up normally when he had to break hard. It's funny I wouldn't remember that from when I had my dakota.

Well, I guess we'll press on with trying to figure out why this ABS light is still on.

Thanks for the reminder about the service manual. I downloaded it awhile back, but completely forgot to check it.

Quick Reply: Seat Belts not restraining