1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Hazard lights work only with turn signal on

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 08:09 PM
TomF
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hazard lights work only with turn signal on

I have a 1990 Dakota, with non-tilt steering wheel. I recently replaced the ignition switch and its actuator rod after the piece of the rod that fits inside the switch broke-off. The repair required that I disassemble the steering column to get at the ignition key cylinder where one end of the actuator rod fits. When I put the column back together, I found that the hazard lights will blink only if I flick the turn signal switch to left or right with the hazard lights switch in the "on" position. Then the hazard lights work fine. The turn signals work fine, too, no problems there at all.

I found a small plastic "nipple" among the parts that came out of the steering column as I disassembled it. There is a press-on fastener/washer on one end of the nipple, and the other end looks like it has broken-off from something. I'm wondering if this broken-off piece is the problem with the hazard lights.

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 03-27-2010, 02:31 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yea sounds like something is wrong. I don't know exactly what part you found or you are missing. My suggestion is to look at the manual we have in the FAQ. Or just head out to a junkyard and take a look at what that looks like or just replace the switches.

Quick Reply: Hazard lights work only with turn signal on