1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

95' dakota shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 07:54 AM
seuf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95' dakota shifting problem

When I am accelerating and I get to around 40-45 mph the truck usually shifts from 2nd to 3rd. But now it will not shift unless I let off the accelerator to slow down and then begin to speed up again then it shifts. It doesn't do this all of the time though. Also this problem does not arise when thraveling at lower speeds ie driving around the city. I checked tranny fluid level and it is fine. Could it be a speed input sensor going out?

Old 03-29-2010, 08:02 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like your TV cable needs to be adjusted. Check the FAQ in this section for a how to.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:06 PM
seuf

I tried the TV cable and added half a bottle of Lucas early Saturday and didn't see a problem all weekend, drove it quite a bit. Got in it this morning and the problem arose twice on my way to work when I stopped at an intersection and began to accelerate. I am wondering is something is settling in the pan and then working its way up into the system. Becuase it seems to happen only in the morning after the truck has been sitting overnight. But again this problem arises sporatically. One day nothing the next day it might happens two or three times. Should I change the fluid or have the transmission flushed out? Also someone told me to change the speed input sensor??

Old 04-12-2010, 05:35 PM
CentralTexas
Rookie

It sounds like you might have a hanging governor or valve body problems. The one/two and two/three shift are not electronically controlled on your transmission so the speed sensor won’t be an issue. These two shift points are controlled by TV pressure and governor pressure (hydraulically controlled). Only the ¾ shift is controlled by the speed sensor, computer and shift solenoid.

I had almost the same problem with my transmission. It wouldn’t shift from 2nd to 3rd under heavy acceleration. I tried everything, replacing the valve body, new band servo, cable adjustments, etc. I even had two rebuilder friends look at it. It was also an intermittent problem. I think I almost wore the pan bolts out. I figured it out by putting pressure gauges on the governor and main line taps. Main line pressure was fine but you could see the governor pressure start to climb as the speed of the vehicle increased, then stop and then start again. I replaced the governor and the problem went away.

Good luck, these intermittent problems can be really tough to figure out.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:27 AM
hwyman

My 96 , 5.2 doin the same thing , was told it may be my transmission temp sensor , my friend put scanner on it and it showed -83 degreeess ??? now if I can locate the temp sensor?

Old 04-13-2010, 07:31 AM
seuf

Awesome, I that is exacltly what my transmission is doing. I will give that a try. Thanks Central Texas

Old 04-13-2010, 09:25 PM
seuf

Does anyone know if there is a write up for transmission governor installation? Truck is a 95 2WD with overdrive. Not certain what transmossion it is? Also, does anyone know where to find transmission ID tag? Chilton manual says a tag is riveted to floor pan on passenger side?

Old 04-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by seuf
Does anyone know if there is a write up for transmission governor installation? Truck is a 95 2WD with overdrive. Not certain what transmossion it is? Also, does anyone know where to find transmission ID tag? Chilton manual says a tag is riveted to floor pan on passenger side?

They already have a Governor installed. Do you mean a replacement. There is the Transmission manual in the FAQ in this section.

Quick Reply: 95' dakota shifting problem