1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Updates, Questions, and Suggestions (spc. Appearence & Body)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 02:21 AM
ZackN920
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updates, Questions, and Suggestions (spc. Appearence & Body)

Well my truck looks a little different since i finally got to removing those damn hubcaps, they've been gone for like 2 months but i havn't had the chance to take pics until now
This one pic is taken from my sisters window since it was raining at the time
Name:  100_1143.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  76.9 KB
and a little while later it wasnt raining so i took a few more, (only 1 more of the full body)
Name:  100_1148.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  139.2 KB

Personally i dont think the wheels look to bad but they need some work since they have a thin layer of rust where they meet the tire

Now the update i dont like, this last winter was bad for the truck and its got quite a bit of rust developing, it had some before but they were just bubbling up, heres the worst of it
Driver side rear bottom portion of the cab
Name:  100_1150.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  149.4 KB
Name:  100_1151.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  132.7 KB

The Right top of the tailgait (this spot always seemed to of had a rust problem but it got a little worse over the winter)

and the bottom of the right fender close to the bumpers
Name:  100_1153.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  92.3 KB

Now the rest: its got a little on the left front fender in the same spot as the right but not nearly as bad, has bubbling and a few broken open bubbles over both rear wheels on the box, rust streak lines coming from under the black trim on the box on at least the driver side (wouldnt be saprised if it was on the passenger too) and theres some in a few other places

The good: (when it comes to the body), the doors are clean and the hood is clean (even though paint is flaking off making it look and feel like sandpaper) and the roof is clean even though paint is fading

Now for the questions:
What for the most part should i use to take the rust off?, sand paper?(if so what grade/quality) Wire brush?

Is there any kind of primer in specific i should use or any rust prevenitives?

and Where can i get matching paint?
and would i have to worry about anything special like clearcoating or anything or what?

Same ?'s apply for the wheels too

Now for suggestions that id like from y'all:

First off are the handles on the side of the B-Pillers, im not too into that look and i dont think they'll ever be needed, its not like im gunna jack up the truck or some ****, its only rear drive so there isnt a need to hang on to anything while getting in and i dont think you guys and gals that have jacked up trucks need anything to hang on either while getting in, and second on that subject the one on the passenger side leaks!,
if i do take them off do i just bondo up the holes then?

Second the Big *** Bug Guard, i like it if its actually doing its job because i have absolutly no problems with bugs on the windsheild but what about all of you that dont have them on your Dakota's, im wondering because thats also something im not too into the look of, to me they look better on the older full size trucks at least if they go all the way from side to side

and now the Side Rails, I personally like them, though something about them just looks a little awkward, what do you all think

And last but not least ive been debating about the wheels when the rusted part ready to paint, im debating if i should paint it the same as the center portions (silver looking) or if i should paint that area black and im just talking about where its rusted, like id leave the center all silver but have out outside where the rust is black or a specific shade of it, would it look good? if not throw another idea out if ya got one but as a reminder i dont plan on buying a new or used set of wheels as of now

Old 04-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not the best body guy but I would suggest a wire brush on a drill will do it. There are several primers for rust prevention.

Sure take off the handles, for the holes welding in a plug is the best option. But bondo can work, the only thing is without something supporting the other side it may not hold.

As for the bug guard I personally don't care for it but it is YOUR truck. You like it keep it. And you said it works so by all means keep it on.

You say side rails I'm guessing your talking about the side steps. It just looks like your missing the rear cover. Get some sheet metal and make it match the front one.

For the wheels I say use the wire brush on a drill again. Get it as clean as you can. Do the painted area too. Just don't go the metal. Then get some paint and paint them. I personally like black. Or you can even get the rust proof PR15 (I think it is) Then paint them in that.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:35 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the bug guard if you don't like it then take it off as crazy said. i did but since at the time i was traveling 210 miles from milwaukee, WI to upper michigan every weekend i put it on before i left or i would have a blurry windsheild by the time i got up there...as for the paint its all i nteh opinion of the owner and i'm sure 95318slt could chip in some advise on the body work...

Old 04-14-2010, 12:06 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZackN920
Well my truck looks a little different since i finally got to removing those d*** hubcaps
YES! Theyre gone! I'm with everyone else though... its your truck, but I personally hated those things. I don't really like the bug guard either, but its your choice. I'm not the one who has to drive it every day.

Originally Posted by ZackN920
Now the update i dont like, this last winter was bad for the truck and its got quite a bit of rust developing, it had some before but they were just bubbling up, heres the worst of it

Now for the questions:
What for the most part should i use to take the rust off?, sand paper?(if so what grade/quality) Wire brush?

Is there any kind of primer in specific i should use or any rust prevenitives?

and Where can i get matching paint?
and would i have to worry about anything special like clearcoating or anything or what?
That rust is not bad... yet.

Take care of it ASAP and it will never cause you another problem. The first thing you need to make sure of is that it hasn't yet thinned out the sheetmetal. If it has, I agree with Crazy... wire wheel on a drill, or even better... a 4 inch angle grinder. Once the wire wheel has done as much as it can do, inspect the areas again. If there is still visible rust or pitting, go back with a flap wheel on an angle grinder, but be careful not to take too much metal off cause a new flap wheel can eat through sheep metal. Once the all the rust is completely gone, sand the area with 80, then 180, then 320 grit sandpaper... the 80 grit gets rid of any grinding scratches, the 180 gets rid of the 80 grit scratches, and the 320 gets rid of the 180 grit scratches... and paint has no problem filling in 320 scratches to make it smooth.

As far as a primer... it really doesn't matter. The clearcoat is by far a better sealant for moisture and UV rays than any paint ever could be.

If you don't want to go into the automotive paint area and use base coat/clear coat paint, use rustoleum or similar over the area. There is write up on how to do a good paint job with rustoleum somewhere in this section.

As for the wheels... POR-15 might work as long as you top coat it... UV light will destroy the finish of POR-15 without some kind of topcoat. But if you do use it, thin it out and spray it really even! It is a heavier paint and you dont want to throw off the balance of the wheels!

As for the handles... bondo is NOT a good substitute for a good solid weld. It may be ok for 6 months... a year... but it WILL crack eventually as the metal around it expands and contracts with heat changes.

Quick Reply: Updates, Questions, and Suggestions (spc. Appearence & Body)