1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 5.2 Dak-smooth warm up, then idles badly, hesitates on hard accelleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Dreamclunker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 5.2 Dak-smooth warm up, then idles badly, hesitates on hard accelleration

Hello Dakota bretheren,
It's been a while since my last posting. I decided to seek the wisdom of some people who might be more successful with this particular diagnosis. Basically, the truck warms up fairly smooth, then it begins idleing rough. It drives and shifts fine, accept, always seeming a little rough. It chokes badly, on hard accelleration, around 3000 rpms. If l ease up on the gas, it smooths out. The items I have replaced include a complete exhaust system, CTS, CPS, MAP, TPS, Pick up Coil, Coil, Plugs, cap, rotor, wires. I get know codes on a key cycle. This has been plagueing me for a while. I thought about replacing the IAC, but have been told that should not be a factor on hard accelleration. Does anybody have any knowledge on this? This forum is always very handy. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The IAC Idle Air Control valve will be the problem with bad idle. For the shifts you can adjust the TV cable, Check the FAQ in this section for a how to.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:14 PM
Dreamclunker

Thanks for the quick response. I guess I'm not familiar with what you mean by TV cable. It seems like the engine is coughing very badly on hard accelleration, but I'm assumming you believe it's a actually a shifting problem? Thanks again.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Dreamclunker

Not only am I not familiar with what a "TV cable" is, I don't see any referance to it in FAQ. Can somebody, please, give me a little more info? Thanks again.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:26 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My automatic transmission is not shifting properly. - A common cause of improper shifting can be caused by a miss adjusted Throttle Valve (TV) Cable. To adjust it properly click HERE. Don't forget a low fluid level can cause shifting problems. This cable can be refered as the Detent cable, Down shift cable. The TV cable can adjust shift points. You can try doing a transmission fluid change.
Here is a copy and paste!

Old 04-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Dreamclunker

Hello,
Thanks for that link. Unfortunatley, that did not seem to do the trick. The truck seems to cut out, just revving it, around 3000 rpms. Perhaps the throttle body is just pretty clogged. Also, will a faulty IAC cause bad fuel economy? Happy Easter

Quick Reply: 93 5.2 Dak-smooth warm up, then idles badly, hesitates on hard accelleration