1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

cold air not really cold?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 12:44 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cold air not really cold?

Last summer i managed to find out why my ac was working. my dad disconnected it. after about a week of going form a full tank to "extra fuel" in less than 2 days i realized why he disconnected it. but fthe first part of my question is there anyway to get the ac to blow colder? i had it recharged before i hooked it up(it was low) but it blows mildly warm air out.

now the next question is, why is my ac compressor kicking in and out constantly(like every other minute it'll kick on for a few seconds then kick off)? could it be that its worn out? thats the whole reason it was disconnected in the first place.

it really only started doing this after some cack head decide to add some character to my dashboard with his foot.

thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.
Alex (a.k.a shadow)

Old 04-18-2010, 12:56 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only thing I know about how an AC compressor decides when to come on is by pressure. The compressor runs until it builds a certain pressure, then it cuts off. As that pressure dwindles, it kicks back on again. My guess for why yours is kicking on and off at such a high rate is that you might have a leak somewhere. It really depends on how frequently it does this though, cause mine kicks on and off fairly rapidly. It might be normal.

You may want to take it in to a shop with a full service A/C machine. We had one at the body shop I worked at. It will suck all the freon out, vacuum check the lines, and add freon back in. That way you know its sealed an full.

Quick Reply: cold air not really cold?