1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Question about low fuel light...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Dodge4lyfe
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Question about low fuel light...

Is the low fuel light supposed to come on when you first turn the key? If not, at what level does it come on. My fuel gauge is a lil messed up but is right now just above E and still no light. On my wife's car it comes on at 1/8 tank, I thought this would do the same. Any insight would be helpful, as my gauge isn't all that accurate and I'm hoping the light works. Oh and I know the bulb in the cluster is good cuz i checked it.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:20 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The low fuel light comes on when there is approx. an 1/8 of a tank left. Mine usually comes on when my 22 gallon tank is at 18 to fill.

The light comes on when the sending unit reads the specified level of gas or lower for 8 consecutive seconds. So it won't come on when the truck is first started, but it will 8 seconds later if the gas level is low enough.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Dodge4lyfe
Veteran

Ah, that's probably it...If you recall, earlier I had posted about my fuel gauge jumping around. I take it that since my sending unit is messed up, there's a good chance of the light not working?

Old 05-10-2010, 10:37 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, I think the gauge and light use a different signal. So I think the light should work even when the gauge doesn't.

This is a quote from the FSM...

LOW FUEL WARNING LAMP
The low fuel warning lamp will light when the fuel
level falls below approximately 4 gallons. One side of
the low fuel warning bulb is grounded at all times. A
low fuel warning module attached to the rear of the
gauge cluster provides battery voltage to the lamp
when the fuel level is low. The low fuel warning module
receives a signal from the fuel level sending unit
that is directly opposite the signal used for the fuel
gauge. In other words, when the fuel level is low,

sending unit resistance is low.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Dodge4lyfe
Veteran

hmm..interesting. I wonder if there is some way to test the light circuit by adding power and seeing if the ground is good/vice versa? Apparently i either don't have a good power/ground, or my gauge is wrong(most likely) and i have more than 4 gallons in tank...
And what's the warning module on the back of the cluster look like? I saw one module hanging off the back in the middle towars the top, is this it? I guess it's also possible that that part of the sending unit is bad too. Guess I'll hafta replace the pump and see if that makes a difference

Last edited by Dodge4lyfe; 05-11-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:37 AM
JDakota92
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gauge on my '92 and '93 are messed up. The light however is dependable on both. When that sucker kicks on, I usually put 17-18 gallons in her.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:51 PM
kahanabob
Captain

my gauge is stuck on full i am going to fill a 5 gal gas can and carry it around when i think it is getting close to empty and run it until it runs out of gas or the light goes on. if the light does come on think i will keep driving to see how much warning i am getting before it runs out. i will follow up with my results.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Dodge4lyfe
Veteran

I got the light to come on today on the way to work. The guage was sitting on E for a lil while and i was almost to work when it came on. When I had to suddenly brake for a car in front of me it went back out. I guess my gauge is a little further off than I had thought. Good to see it works though.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:30 PM
oxygen454
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had a bit of a problem with my fuel sending unit. I did a little write up about the sending unit and the wiring (has pictures). If it helps, check it out...

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...ad.php?t=73372

Old 05-12-2010, 12:25 AM
JDakota92
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dodge4lyfe
I got the light to come on today on the way to work. The guage was sitting on E for a lil while and i was almost to work when it came on. When I had to suddenly brake for a car in front of me it went back out. I guess my gauge is a little further off than I had thought. Good to see it works though.
I've wanted to do that, but I don't want to spend $300 for a new pump when it gets burned up from overheating because there isn't enough fuel in the tank to keep it cool.

Quick Reply: Question about low fuel light...