1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Mopar Performance Computer

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 08:16 AM
grswat
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mopar Performance Computer

Hey all. I recently swapped from a 46re to a nv3500 in my 96. I am getting check engine lights for the transmission, which is expected. The light doesn't bother me I will just have to check the codes every once in a while to make sure nothing is popping up. My question is all the Mopar Performance Computers I have seen are for the automatic transmission. I would obviously prefer a manual computer if one exists. And also does anyone know if I will be getting any adverse performance due to the transmission codes? Everything seems kosher now.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:51 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I was about to say that I have a mopar performance computer in my truck with a manual transmission (I also swapped in the manual), but mine's a '95, which is OBDI, which is a completely different animal! I don't get a check engine light. All the transmission codes are stored if I run the codes, but the light doesn't stay on.

But what you are referring to when you say adverse performance is whats called "limp in" mode. And if the computer hasn't gone into limp in mode yet, I doubt its going to. I'm actually surprised it hasn't though! I would have thought missing transmission controls would be a good reason to go into limp in mode.

But one thing about OBDII computers... they're more programmable than OBDI. You could call around to your local dealerships and see if they can turn those controls off. That may be something they can only do on newer computers, but its worth a try.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:57 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

certain dealerships are able to rewrite obdII pcms if you live in wisconsin i know a handful of them who will.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:27 AM
grswat
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I didn't specify what I was after. I am wanting to get a Mopar Performance computer at some point. I also kicked around the idea of trying to swap a 2nd gen computer and probably wiring harness with the idea that I could get a programmer for it.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:37 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The mopar performance computer is just another PCM. If the dealership can rewrite a factory computer to eliminate the transmission controls, they should be able to do the same for a MP PCM. So I stand by my first statement... call around and see what your local dealerships can do.

And I doubt you want to swap to a 2nd gen computer! I'd be willing to bet all the harness connectors are different, the gauges would be calibrated different, etc. That would be a nightmare and a headache all in one.

Quick Reply: Mopar Performance Computer