1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Dakota rewiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 03:05 PM
LO 619
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dakota rewiring

I have thought about this before and I've had people tell me not to do it, that my truck would never run again... I'm still thinking about it. Tired of flickering lights, my stereo goin out randomly and my damn battery drain.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:17 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well to completely replace every wire with a new one will be a very time consuming project.

I would suggest removing all wiring harnesses.
Place them on a open area.
Remove all covers tape anything like that.
Inspect all the wires. One wire at a time, one connector at a time.
Fix any problems.
If you have heat cracks, use liquid electrical tape. Heat shrink it or tape around any problem areas.
If you have any cut wires or any close to falling off clean up the wire and soldier the joints. Then liquid tape then heat shrink.
Clean all ground locations and wiring connectors.

Take your time.

I did this. It took me a few hours for under the hood harnesses. Took care of TONS of potential problems.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:30 PM
oxygen454
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I would defiantly work on the wiring if I had the same problem. Crazy had really good pointers. I would track down to see what is draining your battery.

One way is to pull fuses to isolate the circuts to see if the draining stops. A multimeter is extremely handy when chasing electrical problems! Amps, stereo's and other devices can cause battery drain.

Best case scenario, by fixing the problems now, you could prevent a electrical fire if there are wiring problems.

Good luck!

Old 05-30-2010, 07:00 PM
LO 619
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good info on this, i know i'm going to eventually get this one done. I'll do what crazy did and just clean everything up and re wrap/shrink everything and throw that BS cloth tape in the trash. I'll start a little at a time. Some wiring (for the stereo) I'll replace with better wire.

Quick Reply: Dakota rewiring