1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

I finally found it... But?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 09:06 PM
Bryan
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I finally found it... But?

Alright I've been having problems with my 91 dakota, 5.2l engine. It was having trouble running over 2000 rpm. which was keeping me from running over 55 or so...

well here is what it was...

The diaphragm inside my back pressure transducer for the egr valve had ruptured, so all was fine when I accelerated, but when the engine hit around 2000 and the solenoid attempted to open the EGR valve, it was sucking exhaust into the vacuum system. Instant vacuum leak. Well now that I figured it out, the vacuum solenoid has crapped out. (which is how I found it.) Probably from pulling in hot exhaust??? The solenoid was stuck open and attempting to open the EGR ,which I replaced, And as you know the engine runs like crap when the egr opens when you accelerate.

I can't seem to find a vacuum solenoid for my truck anywhere. The vacuum line that operates the egr valve is currently plugged.

Where can I find a valve? the parts diagram for the truck shows all 3 vacuum solenoids as being the same. But, the connectors are different for the EGR and the Air injection system, didn't check the charcoal canister.

Help, I don't understand. Are they different or not? Why can't I find one. (Haven't checked dealer yet they're not open until tomorrow...)

Old 05-31-2010, 09:42 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hit the boneyards and find what you need...no way would a Dodge dealer in my area carry a part for a 19 year old truck, but yours may be different...prepare for sticker shock if they do.

Quick Reply: I finally found it... But?