1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Intermitent stalling issues ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Ramhammer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermitent stalling issues ??

1994 Dodge Dakota Sport, short box 5.2....
new vacuum advance, new map sensor, battery checked out ok....
She seems to stall out totally at random ? any weather,hot or cold,wet or dry. Doesn't matter if I'm driving or at at stop light. Sometimes even when I am turning a corner !! It'll start right up every single time right away when it stalls as well.
I've tried hitting all the pot holes ect..( loose wire? ) but nothing happens.
I thought maybe a faulty fuel pump ? but it does it with any amount of fuel in the tank ?
Help! this is my work truck (in beauty shape!) I can't have it breaking down

Regards...Ramhammer......

Old 06-24-2010, 02:50 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

When it stalls it is usually at idle or low RPMs? When its about to die does it studer? If you press the gas harder when it is about to die will it keep it from dieing? If so my guess is that the IAC Idle Air Control valve may be your problem.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Ramhammer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously cool truck...good call, but i did replace the IAC, Not any better. This weekend I stalled and wouldn't start for me, that has never happend before. let her sit while I went into the store (about 1hr) and when I came out I still wouldn't start. It would fire up idle ruff then stall. If I pumped the gas it would run (rough for a few more seconds but then would stall out. Finally I got PISSED OFF and matted it, well it started and back fired! I was able to drive it for about a mile then same old ****.. Tinkered with for a 1/2 hour and it started,drove home 30miles no problem, drove it a few more times about 200 miles ans it still hasn't stalled? The muffler is now punched and, oh yes I forgot (again) to mention I am running with no cat on it...
Gonna take it in and have a Magna High flow cat and muffler put on, hows that sound? can I go from the y pipe (2 1/2) to 3 (or something)for my cat and muff? If so will it mess with the computer chip ?
Thanks for all the help so far....My wife says I don't listen to her, I can't with mud in my ears !!
Regards..Ramhammer

Old 07-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks!

Even new IAC can be bad. It could also be your wires.

One notorious problem for stalling/no starting is the power splice just below the relay box check the FAQ for pics of where it is at.

Quick Reply: Intermitent stalling issues ??