1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel issue help

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 03:09 PM
LO 619
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel issue help

I am having fuel related issues. I just would like to know the things to check out. I don't have the money for a fuel pump & strainer right now. I've replaced the fuel filter, so that isn't the problem.

If it's a bad wire/ connection what wires am I looking at and what is the procedure? Maybe someone has a pic?

I'd rather check the other things first to determine wether it is the pump. Obviously the pump hasn't failed as I'm getting fuel, so it could be something else.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The best thing you can do is get a test gauge and put and see if you have good fuel pressure.

How do you know it is a fuel issue? What issue are you having in the first place?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:53 PM
LO 619
Captain

Well based on what it's doing I assume it's fuel related, Originally thought it was the clutch, which I will need to get at since the throwout bearing is bad. I also still need to replace my input & outout seals on my tranny and t-case and I have an exhaust leak which I'm waiting to fix, I have a new muffler I just need to weld everything in. (don't have my own welder). Need to replace my cv boot, already have the kit, but waiting to use the lift at school.

The problem:

The truck tends to stall out and lose power, I have to keep giving it gas for it to pick up. It usually happens at slower speeds. Sometimes it loses power slams forward and back and then takes off. Another poster had similar issues and it was fuel related. I just need to figure this out, check all possibilities starting with the fuel system, leaving fuel pump replacememnt last, and if none of that does it check the timing.

Stuff I've done already:
Compression check, tune up, pcv, cleaned egr, diffy oil change, fuel filter....

Old 07-09-2010, 11:25 PM
LO 619
Captain

I think I may have fixed the problem!

I did a number of things to see if it made a difference

I took off my air cleaner and sprayed some carb cleaner into my throttle body and around my injectors, started the engine and sprayed a bit more, and reved the engine, then with engine off and battery dissconnected I took out the plug from my Throttle position sensor (the clip on it is broken and may not have been seated correctly) and also unclipped the plug to the sensor that is bolted to the intake ( I think this is an o2 or intake/exhaust sensor?). examined the wires and noticed some of the insulation had come off in a space about 6mm across on an orange wire, so I respliced and taped it up and reconnected everything.

Then I disconnected the stock breather cap looked inside and it looked like it had alot of oil build up so I installed a $10 edelbrock oil breather cap.

I took it for a test drive and I had ZERO issues, the truck ran great, nothing holding it back, no power loss and it peeled out nicely and had a huge gain in speed, power and overall smoothness.

The only hang up is now my check engine light is on and it has never come on before, I don't know what it is, maybe I need to reset my computer? Not sure how to do that.

Last edited by LO 619; 07-09-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:37 AM
tmacdakota
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run your codes and see what comes up. To reset the CEL, disconnect the batt cables for a few minutes.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:49 AM
LO 619
Captain

Originally Posted by tmacdakota
Run your codes and see what comes up. To reset the CEL, disconnect the batt cables for a few minutes.
I don't have a scanner so I'll have to see if I can borrow one.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

You can check the codes by turning on and off the key 3 times and count the number of time the CEL flashes. Check the FAQ for the list of codes and a better explanation.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:08 PM
LO 619
Captain

other than the beginning and end of codes I got 22

Engine coolant temp out of range.

So, the wire I cut and spliced was probably to the engine coolant temp sensor. I guess i'll just try resplicing and getting a better connection and see if that helps.

Thanks for the heads up! I learned something new lol

Old 07-11-2010, 01:38 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Also there are 2 Coolant sensors on our engines.
One with 1 wire is for the gauge only.
One with 2 wires is for the computer. This would be the one you want to check/ replace.
They both are cheep and easy to replace.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:36 PM
LO 619
Captain

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
Also there are 2 Coolant sensors on our engines.
One with 1 wire is for the gauge only.
One with 2 wires is for the computer. This would be the one you want to check/ replace.
They both are cheep and easy to replace.
Well, I fixed the problem, my check engine light came off.

Yesterday the truck started doing the same things as before, stalling out even at idle this time, and i know it's fuel issue because I was running out of gas LOL!

Has anyone else tried the open type breather cap? It seems to make a difference.

Last edited by LO 619; 07-11-2010 at 02:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel issue help