1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

95 dodge dakota Lift

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 03:46 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by reeferbro0622
Some more questions... I took a dive under the truck today and the torsion bar and the two bolts were easy enough to find. I can tighten it all the way right? And then from there determine if I want to lower it more? This only raises the front right?

I would just jack up the left wheel adjust the left bolt clockwise (raising it) then jack up the right side and match it?

What are side effects? <--- favorite icon so far...
Watch the bump stops... don't try to jack the front up past the bump stops! If you run out of bolt and haven't reached the bump stops and still want it higher, you can get aftermarket keys that are reclocked. And yes, this only raises the front.

Leave the truck on the ground. If you jack the front up, you won't have any idea where the truck is sitting height wise! And don't follow the "turn the two bolts the same number of turns" rule. Measure it. Turning the bolts the same number of turns involves the assumption that the two bars have exactly the same spring constant, which is not likely true.

Side effects are harsher ride and less suspesion movement in the front... in other words, it won't flex as well.

i need to get to my mechanic for realignment after cranking up the torsion bars?
Yes, anytime you make any changes to suspension geometry, you need to worry about tire alignment.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:53 AM
LO 619
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
I bet to differ. If you lift our trucks with the torsion bar method, you lose all flexing ability in the front. The bars have way too much preload and therefore can't handle any higher load when trying to flex over anything. If you want to build a decent rock crawler out of our trucks, you need a solid axle, but you have to go big or the axle won't fit. I may be going bigger than I need to with my build, but it will outperform any other Dakota offroad that has stock suspension still under it!

And you may lose some things, but you gain too! How can you say you lose performance? You may lose racing performance, but who races a big, lifted 4x4? You gain offroad performance! Have an open mind... there are many types of performance vehicles out there. MPG? Really? Maybe some, but if you gear the axles accordingly, you won't lose much! Braking?!?!?! I'm putting 12.5 inch discs on all 4 corners with dual piston calipers up front. I bet you $100 my truck will stop faster 60 to 0 when I'm done with it than yours does! Traction?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Umm, what kind of traction? I'm pretty sure my 37 inch mud tires will tear through some dirt, grass, and mud. The only one on that list I'll give you is handling, but who corners a big lifted 4x4 reallly fast anyway?
I am not knocking your build and like what you've done with your truck but it is different entirely because of your solid axle setup. When I mentioned braking, traction, performance and mpg losses i was really talking about on the street/highway on otherwise stock suspension and brakes. For off-road use a lifted truck with larger tires would obviously perform better but I think that the suspension should be set up to handle it. Lifted trucks do look awesome but if done wrong can have negative effects.

Suspension lifts are the way to go!

Old 07-19-2010, 07:54 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LO 619
I am not knocking your build and like what you've done with your truck but it is different entirely because of your solid axle setup. When I mentioned braking, traction, performance and mpg losses i was really talking about on the street/highway on otherwise stock suspension and brakes. For off-road use a lifted truck with larger tires would obviously perform better but I think that the suspension should be set up to handle it. Lifted trucks do look awesome but if done wrong can have negative effects.

Suspension lifts are the way to go!
Ah... I understand what you're saying now. Sorry, I'm a very defensive person! :P

Yeah, if all you do is throw big tires on a truck and change nothing else, you will definately lose more than you gain. But if you set up the rest of the truck accordingly, they will gain you off road traction without losing much of anything.

Its the same for any build... you can't throw a big engine in a car without changing the drivetrain to handle it. You can't make the average car go 200 mph without giving it the suspension, aerodynamics, tires to handle it and brakes to get it stopped again. I think you get the idea!... you have to change all affected systems during a build, you can't just change one part and expect your build to be great.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:15 PM
reeferbro0622
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decided id hold of on adjusting torsion bars --- Why pay the 50 to 100 bucks for a tire realignment if I am just gonna get an inch of lift?

So Whats a decent tire size...? What would be a medium priced big tire that would work and how would I go about getting bigger tires on this thing?

Old 07-21-2010, 06:09 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain

I have 31" Wrangler Authorities with no torsion tweak, body lift, or nothing and they work and look good with seriously almost no rub. But maybe the rims I have help..idk. Just sayin you can throw 31s on without doin anything. Right, guys? lol

Old 07-21-2010, 08:57 AM
reeferbro0622

I have to get pix up of my 95... You guys all got the v8's im a big whimp with my v6 --- yay no pick up, but its in great shape, been taken care of and kept up with. 160,000 miles.

whered you get your visor? cool look.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:40 PM
LO 619
Captain

Decided id hold of on adjusting torsion bars --- Why pay the 50 to 100 bucks for a tire realignment if I am just gonna get an inch of lift?

So Whats a decent tire size...? What would be a medium priced big tire that would work and how would I go about getting bigger tires on this thing?
I have 30's on my truck and they do rub in the front. I may do a little cutting/reshaping of the wheel well to make them fit or try and get it out of the torsion.

The bolt adjustment on the bars is used to compensate for sag, over time the weight of the front end puts stress on the bars which causes them to change shape.

Another thing to think about is wheel size, a 30" tire on a 16" rim is the equivalent of a 31" tire of the same type on a stock size (15") rim. You can go that way too.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:13 PM
will4557
Veteran

All Dakotas are not the same height on the front. I put 31x10.50's on my truck and they rubbed pretty good. I did some trimming and got reindexed torsion keys and ran them up to the bump stops and now I have plenty of room and probably could go bigger if I wanted. It does ride a little rougher but not that much IMO, but it looks a lot better to me. LOL

Old 07-22-2010, 01:58 PM
LO 619
Captain

Originally Posted by will4557
All Dakotas are not the same height on the front. I put 31x10.50's on my truck and they rubbed pretty good. I did some trimming and got reindexed torsion keys and ran them up to the bump stops and now I have plenty of room and probably could go bigger if I wanted. It does ride a little rougher but not that much IMO, but it looks a lot better to me. LOL
I suspect that the older the Dakota, the more sag in the torsion. I have an 88 And there is a noticeable amount of sag. And the suspension is not very good. I bob up and down the road sometimes lol I will need to tighten my torsion to compensate, there seems to be almost an inch of thread space. If you max out the torsion, you will just need to get new bars once sag settles in. I also need to replace the rear shocks and maybe the front.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:46 PM
will4557
Veteran

yeah if it is bouncing up and down more than a couple of times that is a sure sign that the shocks are toast.

Quick Reply: 95 dodge dakota Lift