1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 Dak Fuel Pump Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:29 PM
LESchwartz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 93 Dak Fuel Pump Problems

I have a 93 Dakota w/ a 3.9 & 5spd. Over the last few weeks, it's been stalling out. If I shoot starter fluid down the throttle body, it will start right up. The fuel pressure was low, so I replaced the fuel pump. The pressure is good, but it still stalled. I went ahead and re-soldered the splice under relay box (as noted in the FAQ), even though there was no corrosion.

Then I noticed that I could get the truck stated if I wiggled the wiring harness where the wires split off to the fuel pump. I figured I would check the connections, so I pulled the connector, disassembled it, cleaned the connections, greased and reassembled. The connections looked good, no corrosion, etc. Unfortunately, now the truck wont run at all (wiggle or not).

I'm pretty sure the connector is the problem, but every salvage yard in town drops the tanks and cuts the harness with a wire cutter

Any idea where I can find a replacement connection?

Any suggestions for other things I've overlooked?

Thanks in advance,

Larry

Old 07-22-2010, 02:56 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you replace the inline fuel filter?

You can replace the pins inside the connector. I would say if it is the connector that is bad and not the wire just cut off the connector and get a universal one from auto zone or radio shack. Get one with a weather insulator.

Or just splice the wires together.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:22 AM
LESchwartz

I've replaced the in-line filter when I did the fuel pump.

As for getting a connector at Autozone, et al: I wasn't aware they even sold such a thing.

Larry

Old 07-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

They sell universal ones.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:03 PM
LESchwartz

I looked around Autozone for about a half hour, and didn't see any five pin connectors . . . I guess I'm not understanding what you mean.

Larry

Old 08-01-2010, 09:27 AM
tmacdakota
Veteran

That's an electrical part, if it's not on the shelf as the counterguy.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:44 PM
kevin2502000

Here's what I did as I had the exact same problem on my 93. After many many headaches I found that dodges have ****ty wiring harnesses. After attempting to solder a broke wire I found the main wire to the pump had corrosion throught the entire wire. I ran a new wire from the fuseblock straight to the pump. I even by-passed the 5 pin connecter and drilled a hole in the top of the pump connecting it directly to the motor inside. If you can use your plug I would do it for ease. I may even have an old one lying around here if u need it.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:17 PM
LESchwartz
Default Update

UPDATE: I dropped the tank enough to work on it (yet again), and used a pliers to "tighten" the connection. Afterwards, it started right up. Once I got it started, I used hot glue to try and keep the connector tight. The test drive went OK, but I'll have to drive it for a week or so before declaring victory.

BTW: This must be a known TSB issue. See RockAuto's information on the Airtex pump: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=59831. Notice the first bullet point

Larry

Quick Reply: 93 Dak Fuel Pump Problems