1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Drum won't go back on.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 11:53 PM
bearwint
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drum won't go back on.

The truck is a 1996 5.2L SLT. In order to get the old drum off, I had to grind a window into it, saw the threaded linkage at the bottom, (can't remember the real name), and then use a hammer to pound the old pads in, and then pound the drum off. Now that I replaced all the hardware, the wheel cylinder, (thought that was the problem), the new pads still don't fit right. With the pads as close together as possible I can barely get the new drum on, with a lot of force, so I figured this would be too close to drive and the pads will be rubbing constantly. I checked the parking brake lines and everything seems normal, there old and rusty, but not broken. Give me some idea's, been stuck on this since last weekend. Thanks.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:10 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Something is still not lined up correctly if needed check the service manual that is in the FAQ in this section. As for it not removing there is a window in the back that you can use a screwdriver to loosen up the retentioner wheel.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:35 AM
tmacdakota
Veteran

I'd pull the E-brake cables and replace them...old and rusty = not good. I bet the cable on that side is stuck and partially engaged. You should have plenty of room to put the drum back on if everything under the drum is right.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:39 AM
kahanabob
Captain

Did you lay the shoes in the drum before installing to check if the curve of the shoes matched the drum. Brake shops will do this and have a machine that will sand the new shoes to fit correctly. You might also remove the drum on the other side and compare the two sides, check distance between the ends of the shoes. make sure the self adjuster is screwed all the way closed. Sounds like you are within that famous hair of getting it there.............

Old 08-11-2010, 10:56 AM
MRS_ROCKIN_ROBIN
Amateur

Here's a thought.... Are you sure you got the right size brake shoes for your Dakota? When I bought the rear shoes for mine there were two sizes listed a 9" and a 10", and are you installing them correctly, if you look at them you'll see that two of them are longer on the brake material itself and the other two are shorter on material, the shorter one goes towards the back of the truck. Another thought, did you get the parking brake strut with the anti rattle spring in place right? I had that problem and couldn't figure it out for a few minutes then looked closely at it and sure enough, it wasn't in place right. And as stated before.... make sure that the self adjuster is screwed all the way in, there should be a small rubber gromit at the lower side of the backing plate that will allow you to adjust the star wheel on the self adjuster, you'll need two straight screw-drivers to adjust them or one screw-driver an a brake spoon.
Hope this helps.....
Merrie

Old 08-11-2010, 11:01 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran

Yeah, what she said...thought about that, then I read her post.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:50 AM
MRS_ROCKIN_ROBIN
Amateur

OOOPS!!!!! I wrote that wrong the one that has the longer brake material on it goes towards the back!!! The shorter material one goes towards the front of the vehicle!!!
Sorry about that, hope it didn't make you mess up, I just read what I wrote and seen that I actually had it backwards. Well what do you expect for a girl, and I've only done one set of brake shoes..... But I caught my mistake!!!

Merrie

Old 08-13-2010, 10:19 AM
kahanabob
Captain

Originally Posted by MRS_ROCKIN_ROBIN
OOOPS!!!!! I wrote that wrong the one that has the longer brake material on it goes towards the back!!! The shorter material one goes towards the front of the vehicle!!!
Sorry about that, hope it didn't make you mess up, I just read what I wrote and seen that I actually had it backwards. Well what do you expect for a girl, and I've only done one set of brake shoes..... But I caught my mistake!!!

Merrie
I have done mine 3 times and every time I have to use the one side i have not done yet to refer too to get it back together. If just one of the parts is not seated correctly will cause the drum not to go on.............PS you gave him better info then I did!!!

Old 07-27-2014, 05:04 PM
RedneckHawaiian
Exclamation Brake Drums wont go back on

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport and replaced the rear pads(drum) and all new hardware and new cylinder. The tensioner is turned all the way in and nothing is catching on the back plate. i have not "torn apart" the other side so that i can have a reference to look back on. i even tried putting a ratchet strap on there to "attempt" to get the pads to come closer together..... no dice. the e-brake cable is free and not rusty also all four pads are the exact same length. i also measured the distance the pads are apart and compared to the other side and they are at least an inch or better closer together than the other side. SO WHAT IN THE HOLY MOTHER OF GOD IS KEEPING THIS DRUM FROM GOING BACK ON!!!! AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Old 07-27-2014, 06:27 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckHawaiian
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport and replaced the rear pads(drum) and all new hardware and new cylinder. The tensioner is turned all the way in and nothing is catching on the back plate. i have not "torn apart" the other side so that i can have a reference to look back on. i even tried putting a ratchet strap on there to "attempt" to get the pads to come closer together..... no dice. the e-brake cable is free and not rusty also all four pads are the exact same length. i also measured the distance the pads are apart and compared to the other side and they are at least an inch or better closer together than the other side. SO WHAT IN THE HOLY MOTHER OF GOD IS KEEPING THIS DRUM FROM GOING BACK ON!!!! AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!
Can you post a picture of the brake assembly (without the drum, obviously) so we can tell you if it's assembled correctly?

Quick Reply: Drum won't go back on.