1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

3.9L 1990 Dak Convertible 4x4 rebuild mods...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 02:13 PM
RobertMc
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZackN920
I still plan on doing a 318/727 swap, anyways why would you only have Dakotas to choose from, some Rams had Magnum V6 and several vehicals had the 318 and id suspect if you want a LA TBI 318 look for 88-91 Rams or even cars that had the engine, only thing though (you probably allready know this but) your probably going to have to get Ram(1st gen) 4X4 Tortion bars (dont know though if theyd work or it) or V8 Dakota 4X4 Tortion bars or Key yours up to raise the front end since yours is 4X4
Yeah torsion bars, transmission, lose the Airconditioning so i can put an electric fan in front of the radiator, wiring, computer, different length drive shafts for the transfer case....

I'd actually prefer the V6 magnum, simply because it avoids a lot of the hassles.

In fact I bought one of my 4x4 convertibles from someone who was going to do a swap, realized a 2wd swap was much easier, and bought a 2wd convertible.

As for find parts in the wrecking yards...

the biggest problem is finding the Wiring and computer to go with the engine and transmission. There is one V6 magnum available locally, but no computer, wiring or transmission with it.

All the 5.2/318 i've looked at had the harness chopped when people were too lazy to disconnect parts. I was extremely lucky to find an intact 3.9 harness from a 90 Dak, but haven't seen intact ones for the 5.2. Van or ram or otherwise.

I figure it's simply bad luck/timing

I'm sure i could find a complete magnum donor vehicle if i wait long enough, but I want this truck done before the end of September.

since you say the computer wont accept the cam would you be willing to swap to a carbed set up for it to work or is that out of the question for you?
I actually would prefer that, but then I'd have to figure out how to make the cruise control and other stuff work... not sure i can do that by Sept 30

and quick question: How much power would it increase and how much would it cost?, if its cheap and gives a decent power boost maybe thats something temporary i could look tawerds getting since mines carbed
Mopar made a performance intake and cams for this engine and they even have a book that gives info on how to get well over 300hp from the older 3.9
but those parts are all meant for carburated engines. Assuming you can even find that extremely rare 4bbl intake.
Hughes racing may have aftermarket cams.

The Mopar cam I found was originally around $120 plus $14 for the adjustable hydraulic pushrods. I think the $14 price if for each pushrod.
Then you would need the gaskets and seals.

Summitracing has the book, but your local mopar oriented shop or dealer can get it.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-4876827AB/

Not sure what the cam I found would do on it's own.

When you say the rear is really low im guessing your talkin about the diff ratio, how low is really low because ive got (or at least have original papers claming) that i have a 2.94 ratio and thats the lowest ive heared of and others have heard of at least being stock
Both my trucks have a 3.92 rear ratio. They came with that from the factory.
When i said 'rear really low" i meant literally.. low to the ground.
I hauled loads of granite boulders for my yard in what is now the parts truck. I kept expecting the springs to break. The 3.9 did pretty well considering the weight I was hauling. Then again, it was over a fairly flat highway.

I'll never do that with the restored truck.. the heaviest work it will do is haul camping gear up a decent logging road (very carefully), haul a small boat, or go for ice cream... lol

and by the way can you post some Pictures up
I have photos of the rusted out, parts truck... but I assume you don't mean that.
I've been too focused on working on the truck to take "in progress" photos

Here is a photo from before I owned it.
I'm probably removing the 3" body lift and using the stock sized tires from the parts truck.
The brushguard was removed as soon as i got it home, and is likely not going back on.
It may look good in the photo, but the drivetrain was in bad shape, the passenger door had no window motor, the red interior was destroyed by the sun... etc. The only thing I'm not replacing is the body, frame, axles/steering, front windshield, roof, and some small stuff.

Last edited by RobertMc; 08-20-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:33 PM
RobertMc
Professional

Update on the project....

Well... one thing leads to another....

End result.. the 3.9 engine, stock automatic and transfer case are all rebuilt now.

The transmission has a shift kit that not only improves shifting, but actually flows fluid when the truck is in park. (unlike the stock transmissions from what I am told)
I thought the transfercase would need a new chain at most... nope.. water had got in it and it needed a rebuild.

On teardown, the engine was in good shape, but figuring that I may as well do some improvements..... the V6 now has tri-metal rings, top quality bearings, flat top pistons, 3 angle valve grind, bored .030, head shaved .030, new camshaft, etc.
I'll be installing Edelbrock shorty headers when I get them.

(If i ever find an old mopar performance intake, i have the future option to switch to 4 bbl carb and put a different cam in.)

Currently the truck is waiting on me getting the front suspension back together, with the engine and transmission ready to go back in as soon as that is done.

Can't wait to get it on the road in the spring.

P.S. please excuse the condition of the throttlebody in the photo... i have since stripped it down, cleaned it and re-assembled with a TBI tuneup kit. It now matches the rest of the motor.

Last edited by RobertMc; 12-05-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Very nice and Clean! Good Job.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:33 PM
DAKOTAJIM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love the body

HI RobertMC. I really like that body style and was wondering if you know what years it was made. I live in florida and would love to have a convertable truck. I was also considering having my 96 dakota transformed to a t-top or convertable as my roof is starting to rust out. I didn't know that they made a convertable or is that a custom build? Do you know where to buy a replacement convertable top with all the hardware? How about some more pictures of the body, top up and down and how the top is attached to the cab. I sure i see a roll bar for protection but would love to see some more pictures. Also that is one good looking engine wish mine looked so good. Thanks

Old 07-26-2011, 06:49 PM
RobertMc
Professional

Hi DakotaJim.. sorry for the slow reply, for some reason I missed the email alerting me to your post.

It's not a conversion, it's a factory convertible made from 1989 to 1991.

While it would be possible to convert a gen 1 hardtop Dakota to a convertible, especially when using a Dakota convertible parts truck for parts...

I don't see much point when you can simply buy one of the factory Dakota convertibles.

It would cost less and you get to spend more time driving it.

The problem with the Dakota convertible now, is parts availability.

It's hard to find any of the convertible specific parts if they are missing or damaged. In fact, many of parts for the early Dakotas in general, are hard to find because Chrysler discontinues parts a lot quicker now.
Best option, if you have the storage space, is to buy 2.. and use one for parts.

As for photos.. I'll post a bunch once the truck is re-assembled.

Cheers !

Old 08-01-2011, 01:39 AM
ZackN920
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice truck... Very clean engine too, just wondering though, How much power does the 3.9 now put out and how much was invested? (in the engine & truck)

Old 08-01-2011, 07:38 AM
siggie30
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RobertMc
One machine shop talked about Quench.... I just read some info about it.
Anyone tried decreasing the quench gap to around .035 .040 to improve combustion turbulence in a 3.9 ?
Could it be done with machining, or would taller pistons be needed for this motor ?
Anyone know what the stock quench gap is on 3.9 ?
Would it seriously hurt the long term durability of the motor ?

Your getting into engine theory here. While most engine builders spec at least .050 quench for best turbulence, if your heads are not modified, it will not matter much. If you look at most popular builds on the internet, you'll note that they all have the same formula = heads, cam, intake, and exhaust. Note that heads will have the greatest potential of a power increase, while the cam will affect the driveability the most. Exhaust is subjective to what your willing to put up with.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:17 PM
RobertMc
Professional

Originally Posted by ZackN920
Nice truck... Very clean engine too, just wondering though, How much power does the 3.9 now put out and how much was invested? (in the engine & truck)
Hi Zack,

Sorry I seem to be brain dead and keep missing replies.

No Idea what the 3.9 puts out now. I really should have had it tested before I picked it up from the engine shop. :P
The biggest holdback is the throttle body injection and computer.
Can't reprogram the computer so it limits what you can do.
I keep hoping to find one the the Mopar performance intakes and switch the truck to a carb and conventional timing adjustment.

How much invested ?
hehe Not quit done with the job yet.
I've been keeping track of every little part, spray can, solvent can etc in a spreadsheet. Last time I looked at the total it was around $11k.

Right now i'm cleaning/painting the rear axle, flushing it out, replacing it's seals, and installing complete new rear drum brakes and brake lines. (front brakes will be new too)

After that it's dropping the fuel tank, cleaning it out, and checking all fuel lines.

Then it's simply a matter of putting it all back together. hehe

Some people think I'm nuts to invest this amount of time and money into the truck.
But.. I figure I can't buy a new convertible truck today. Even if I could, it would be more expensive. In the end, this truck will mechanically be as close to new a possible.

The only thing I may not do is body paint. The paint is in good shape (but has a few chips) and I really really really wanna drive the truck. But knowing me, I'll drive it for a summer and then paint it.

If I paint it, it will likely total around 15k. Ouch.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:21 PM
RobertMc
Professional

Originally Posted by siggie30
Your getting into engine theory here. While most engine builders spec at least .050 quench for best turbulence, if your heads are not modified, it will not matter much. If you look at most popular builds on the internet, you'll note that they all have the same formula = heads, cam, intake, and exhaust. Note that heads will have the greatest potential of a power increase, while the cam will affect the driveability the most. Exhaust is subjective to what your willing to put up with.
Hey Siggie30,

Thanks for the reply... see my previous post about what was done to the motor.
Got a spare gen 1 Mopar Perf intake lying around ?? hehe

Old 07-15-2012, 07:42 PM
siggie30
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RobertMc
Hey Siggie30,

Thanks for the reply... see my previous post about what was done to the motor.
Got a spare gen 1 Mopar Perf intake lying around ?? hehe

Mancini sells used ones. That is where I got mine for 150 or so. Moparts is always selling too. Not to discourage looking here.

Quick Reply: 3.9L 1990 Dak Convertible 4x4 rebuild mods...