1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

3.9L 1990 Dak Convertible 4x4 rebuild mods...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 10:34 AM
sobiecam
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man, I've done a LA 360 swap into a 1988 Dakota and I'll tell you it's not impossible but rather involved. And you can use the factory trans, I have the A500 behind the 400hp 360 and it's holding up but I do plan on an A518 swap when I swap out the 8-1/4 for an 8-3/4 rear end. The only thing I'd suggest that I should've done myself is invest in the hooker full tube headers if you plan on headers, if not magnum engine ram manifolds will work too. I used Edlebrock Ti-Techs for 2nd gen Dakotas and had to do minor modifications on both sides. I also used a new factory style radiator but you're going to need a pre-72 style water pump to keep the pulley out of the radiator which then needs a long spectre flex tube for the lower rad hose... any more questions on the swap just ask me

but since you stuck with the V6

looks sexy! I'm currently restoring an 87 Indy 500 Dakota and wonder what your headers look like, there's an 88 Dakota 2WD that has some older eddy headers on it that I was going to grab up, wondering if they were the same thing

Last edited by sobiecam; 07-18-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:56 AM
RobertMc
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Guys...

Siggy: Mancini Racing and Moparts... thanks VERY much.. I'll look into that asap.

sobiecam: I'll upload some photos when I get through the big pile of boxes.
FWIW: The edelbrock headers I got, have the ports for the air pump setup, and are Cali legal.

Update: one thing leads to another...
After pulling the box off to upgrade to the 22gal fuel tank.. I thought...
"Hmmm.. should do those brake lines too.. since it's much easier to do now"
"hmm.... fuel lines too maybe ?"
"hmm.. should clean that frame and paint it"
"hmm.. may as well clean/paint the bottom of the cab too"

The frame, stripped of almost everything but the cab, is 80% cleaned.
I hope to have it painted with POR-15 chassis paint by the end of the week.
The cab mounts need some love, so I'll be ordering urethane control arm/leaf spring/cab mount bushings tomorrow.
I'll keep the new MOOG upper control arm bushings I already have as future backups.

So far this truck project is like building a new house because you wanted to install new kitchen cabinets.
It's getting to the point that it's more or less a frame off resto

Stay tuned for some in progress pics.

You guys have any suggestions for the exhaust ?
The original Y pipe is in great shape. (haven't checked it's diameter)
The Cat and rest of it is good too.
Unfortunately it was reduced in diameter after the cat and has a generic muffler.
Would the stock Y pipe running full diameter all the way back with something like a magnaflow work ? or would duals be worth the $$ ? It's a 4x4, so the routing may be difficult.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:29 PM
keilkravec
Veteran

I would say go stock, if you can find a 92-93 Y-Pipe, its pretty good size, 3in' Outlet.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:15 PM
RobertMc
Professional

Originally Posted by keilkravec
I would say go stock, if you can find a 92-93 Y-Pipe, its pretty good size, 3in' Outlet.
3" ? not bad.
Last time I checked there were NO '96 and under dakotas in the wrecking yards here. Maybe I'll be lucky this time if i need the later year pipe.

I noticed that the y pipe that was on the truck actually gets a bit smaller a couple inches before it's outlet. I have to measure that point and see what it is.

I found a video yesterday of someone installing a single in/ dual out muffler and 2 tailpipes in a gen 1. Not sure if that would work on a 4x4.

Update: dropped the fuel tank skid plate off today for powder coating.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:55 PM
keilkravec
Veteran

Should work as long as you make sure everything clears underneath far as the gas tank and spare tire are concerned. Otherwise should be able to use stock mounting points for about 90% of it. And yea it is a bot smaller towards the manifolds, but thats how all systems are.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:36 PM
90dakotaconvertible
Rookie

Is this my old convertible from ND? I know the picture is the one I was sent from the previous seller. Even with the issues you got a great truck. Luckily it went to AZ.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:57 PM
RobertMc
Professional

Originally Posted by 90dakotaconvertible
Is this my old convertible from ND? I know the picture is the one I was sent from the previous seller. Even with the issues you got a great truck. Luckily it went to AZ.
That you Steve ? PM me !
If it is.. it's your old truck.. As I said before I'm using the best parts of both trucks to make a "new" one.
I loved confusing my neighbours with 2 matching white dakotas
I believe it originally came from down south. Been so long since I looked at the vincheck when I bought to from you.
That said, it will have none when it's done,which should be soon.

Quick Reply: 3.9L 1990 Dak Convertible 4x4 rebuild mods...