1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

91 Dak A/C Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 08:59 AM
dlwurscher
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 91 Dak A/C Question

Howdy Y'all
Have a 91 Dak which I got when a friend pass on, he never got the A/C charged when
it needed Freon.
I know the sys is of the old freon type, what are your suggestions on re-habing the system?
Been getting suggestions all over the place from local A/C people
Thanks for your help in advance.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You can buy retro fit kit to convert it from R-12 to 134a, from most auto parts stores. It is very easy to install but you must vacuum out the system then use fill up the system to the proper amount and don't forget the oil.

But don't forget there is a reason there is no Freon in it. It has a leak. Depending on where the leak is you may loose it all in a day or week. You have to fix the leak.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:09 PM
chunk

I guess if you want to keep the air conditioning technician busy at your local garage and you have a few hundred dollars lying around doing nothing, you can take it in and get it evacuated and refilled. I know several people that have "topped up" their air conditioning systems with the Red Tek.
They did not remove what ever was in the system first ( 134a or R12 )...just topped up with Red Tek ( see link )
http://www.canadiantire.ca/search/se...=1283821129341
There was no adverse affects to "mixing" refrigerant types ( nothing seized, no mushroom cloud under the hood, no unexpected visits by A/C cops)

Old 09-07-2010, 07:51 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

Chunk, thanks for the link. Always wondered about mixing the two of them.

Quick Reply: 91 Dak A/C Question