1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

buying 1993 4x4, what to look for??

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 02:02 AM
gwat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying 1993 4x4, what to look for??

I'm looking at bing a 1993 V8 regular cab long box 4x4. I don't have much expereience with these things. What should I be looking out for?. Any common problems with these? Seems to look good, although I haven't driven it yet. Seller says 'the chain whines'? Any idea what could be up with that? Like I say I don't know much about these. I currently drive a Toyota from the same era and know all about the timing chains on the 22re engines but nothing about these V8s.
Thanks..

Old 09-14-2010, 02:35 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the biggest problems these trucks are notorious for is eating the front suspension and steering joints (ball joints, tie rods, idler and pitman arms). So inspect all those things.

As for the timing chain, just replace it and maybe even throw a tensioner on the new one.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:06 AM
tmacdakota
Veteran

Also check wheel bearings, front hubs, tranny/differential/transfer case fluids, U-joints and electrics (does everything with switch that you can see work?). Make sure the transfer case is working 100% if you plan to actually use 4WD.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:27 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure the transfer case doesn't have signs of a stretched chain(it would have a huge hole in it if it did). my cousin bought his durango and he drove it for 3yrs with a stretched chain.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:14 PM
issakar
Captain

I second the electrical. Check all the wires you can see in the engine bay. check all switches, *****, lights, (like tmac said) and if there is something extra or different ask the seller about it. My dakota was owned buy a riggin' kind of guy and I am finding all kinds of crazy stuff as far as wiring and other electrical issues. It's a nightmare! I think i actually found some cord from an old lamp under the dash?!

Anyway, if you can see the wires and check the electicals, check the lights, brake lights, running lights, etc. The obvious stuff too, engine oil, diff oil, trans fluid, etc. If you want to be super thorough make yourself a little check list with the item, and note the condition it is in. You could even do a spreadsheet type thing:

Item|bad|fair|good|excellent
stuff| | | X |
thing| X | | |

you get the idea.

I personally like to take a vehicle away from the buyer so i can go thru it. My Dakota the guy lived a mile from me so i brought it home and went thru it. I have taken vehicles to a gas station or a park before too. It's nice to get a chance to pick through without the seller standing there watching you.

Good luck, I hope your purchase goes well!

Old 09-17-2010, 01:00 PM
gwat

Ahh. Booo. Tranny chain toasted the casing. I think I'll keep looking. Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: buying 1993 4x4, what to look for??