1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

the things i do to myself (my day today so far, new project)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 04:26 PM
issakar
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the things i do to myself (my day today so far, new project)

Whats happening forum?

SO the trans pan on my truck was leaking from the front for a while so i finally took the time today to work on that. I am going to make a separate post for that. After doing the pan and getting it cleaned up we bolted it back up. put 1.5 qts of ATF+4 in and cranked the truck over to get stuff cycling... All crank no start. Fuel pump isnt getting power again. So I finally broke down and ripped into the PDC wiring. I took the PDC itself apart, cut away ALL the "hockey tape" and went to town.

Name:  IMG00234-20100914-1541.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  105.1 KB

Name:  IMG00235-20100914-1541.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  82.8 KB

no luck. I found one splice that seems like it could be weak, but adjusting it didnt help any. I did follow the harness even more and found that it runs into the cab. It seems to run into the cab, then run out of the cab.

It was following this that I found the new mystery to me. This Guy...

Name:  IMG00232-20100914-1540.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  111.2 KB

Name:  IMG00230-20100914-1540.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  78.2 KB

Name:  IMG00233-20100914-1541.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  119.7 KB

Name:  IMG00231-20100914-1540.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  105.6 KB

WTF is an EVS unit? It is Mopar branded and all so I assume it's legit. I wonder if this unit could cause problems with fuel delivery, aka not give power to the fuel pump? Furthermore all the wiring related it looks mega janked. I have myself a bundle of wiring mess to deal with if i do say so myself. *sigh*

Anyway thanks for the view everyone, I am gonna work on my other post shortly, snag a late lunch and try and get back atter.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:46 PM
issakar
Captain

So i guess this is a security system device? I didn't know I had a security system in the truck..... weird

Old 09-14-2010, 05:02 PM
woodbutcher5691
Professional

Well it looks a siren in the 1st pic. Mine ain't got one.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:02 PM
kikazzdakota
Professional

maybe aftermarket or a opinion for 1996 but i havent heard of it being stock

Old 09-14-2010, 05:04 PM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by woodbutcher5691
Well it looks a siren in the 1st pic. Mine ain't got one.

:-o I just thought that was for the horn! I wonder if this module is part of my problems!

Last edited by issakar; 09-14-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:02 PM
issakar
Captain

just thought id drop a quick note on this and mention that it is confirmed to be a fuel delivery issue as the truck starts with starting fluid and there is 0 fuel at the schrader valve at the fuel rail. taking a brake at this point to chill for the evening and will probably be back at it on thursday. curse my truck right now, lol. i really was hoping to put her back on the road today :'(

Oh well, such is life right? lol.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It is a alarm system. A quick Google search for "Mopar EVS" took 5 secs and Came up lots of links. It does have a starter interrupter. But unless someone wired it wrong that wouldn't be your problem for the fuel pump. I say bust out the multimeter and see what has power and what doesn't.

Here is one. http://shoplive.rompalicious.com/mop...se&language=en

Old 09-14-2010, 07:41 PM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
It is a alarm system. A quick Google search for "Mopar EVS" took 5 secs and Came up lots of links. It does have a starter interrupter. But unless someone wired it wrong that wouldn't be your problem for the fuel pump. I say bust out the multimeter and see what has power and what doesn't.

Here is one. http://shoplive.rompalicious.com/mop...se&language=en
Originally Posted by issakar
So i guess this is a security system device? I didn't know I had a security system in the truck..... weird
Cool! Thx crazy! I actually did google seach it and found it was a security unit. I appreicate the link though cuz that does help me out in knowing it does have a start interrupt feature to it. I wouldnt be surprised if someone wired it "wrong" or did a jank job of doing it. The wiring in this poor truck is REALLY bad. the unit itself just kind of hangs there. I also noticed on the siren in the engine bay when i was working on the PDC wiring had a connector on the (presumably) hot wire that was disconnected from it. I dare not connect it in fear that it goes off on me! lol.

I just seem to have a lot of electrical issues with this poor guy and i feel like this alarm unit doesnt help the situation. Furthermore without the key fobs it seems useless to have!

I am gonna try and do a bit more research on this thing. Maybe i can remove and bypass it or something.

Thx again for the info!

Old 09-14-2010, 08:18 PM
kikazzdakota
Professional

if its a start interupter u have a coded key for it dont think u can yank it but u should be able to bypass it though buddy of mines went out in his 94 z28 and the replacement waz damn expensive

Old 09-14-2010, 08:26 PM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by kikazzdakota
if its a start interupter u have a coded key for it dont think u can yank it but u should be able to bypass it though buddy of mines went out in his 94 z28 and the replacement waz damn expensive
when u say coded u dont mean like a chip in it right? neither of my keys have a chip in them or n e thing.

I hate security systems because it seems like they cause more trouble than good. Lemme say that it isn't 100% confirmed this thing is my problems, i just feel like it might be contributing. No solid evidence, just gut feeling....

Quick Reply: the things i do to myself (my day today so far, new project)