1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

89 dakota progress

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 03:42 PM
bill55az
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 dakota progress

Last time I posted about it, I had the major assemblies removed and spread all over the shop.
Progress made.....
Hardly used newer tires are on, 225/65/16 directionals...mounted on #$% brand factory alloy wheels.
Power steering is gone, manual steering is in, still needs outer tie rod ends.
Wimpy 7.25 axle with 9" brakes is gone, 8.25 axle is in, comes with suregrip, 3.55 gears, and 10" brakes...The rear end is lowered 1" using cut up overload leafs, now need to install the rear sway bar.
Pulled front rotor and measured, it already has the heavy duty/bigger rotors, which is a surprise as it was a 4 cylinder short bed truck. Anyway, that issue is gone. Noticed it needs new ball joints and bushings and brake line hoses. It was an AZ truck, nearly all the rubber parts and grease boots are rotted from the "dry heat".
Bought the proper oil pan, will be putting it on the 92 5.9L engine, attaching a tranny, and measuring where to put the new crossmember (as it was done in Shelbly versions) for engine mount support.
Heading south to AZ in a few weeks, staying a month, so I can visit junkyards again and bring back parts I might need.

I gave away the ruined motor, anybody need a 5 spd. NP tranny? Has new clutch, pressure plate, bearing, etc.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:23 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Cool! Sounds like you got it.

Quick Reply: 89 dakota progress