1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

94 Dodge Dakota wiring protection

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Hansm14
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 94 Dodge Dakota wiring protection

What can one use to protect wiring that goes inside the rubber boot between the door jamb and the cab?I think I have a short inside the rubber boot and may have to replace part of the wire or wires.I would like to re- enforce a sleave so the wires don't get real kinky and possible short out again.Also can you remove the boot and put it back without completely removing all of the wires from it?I need to get to it to repair it.Can you just slit it and tape it back together?Id like to put another small sleeve inside of it and still be able to close the door,without breaking the wires.I hope someone understands this.Specifically the power door lock wires.I know I can do this.Thanks

Old 09-28-2010, 11:39 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The best way to reinforce it is using heat shrink wrap. But you have to completely remove the wires. The next choice is the wire looms that are everywhere. They are plastic with a slit down the back to slide the wires in. As far as the boot just pull the boot back pull into the space in between the door and body.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:23 AM
Az93DKota
Veteran

Did your windows die or something? Just do what Crazy said. Pull the boot back. Find the bad wire, butt connect it and close it back up. My ZJ did that 4 years ago and no problems since.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Hansm14
Rookie

No. It's not the widow.The power door lock button works intermittenly on one side.I can get it to work if I jiggle the wires inside the door jamb inside the boot.I have my full post about this in one of the threads.Hope I don't have to remove all the wires.Hope I can just spilce a new one in.Thanks

Quick Reply: 94 Dodge Dakota wiring protection