1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

killin my battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 07:33 PM
dodgeracer85
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post killin my battery

i have a 92 dakota 3.9 magnum the truck is fighting me for every thing i got first vibration issues fixed after all new u joints, steady bearing, and transmission mount. Than the starter went fixed new stater and a $ 75 tow job home. Than idol issues that was fixed with a new temp sensor (the wires pulled out of the old one). Now the battery keeps dieing i can start today if i charged the bat within the last 3 days, i lifted the hood the other day than shut it off i could hear a clicking coming from what seamed under the air filter i need help with this someone please before the truck has a date with the crusher

Old 10-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The battery may be dead and not holding the charge or the alternator may not be charging the battery. I will move this to the 1st Generation Dakota sub-forum.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:10 PM
issakar
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How old is the battery in the truck? has it been maintained at all? If you run the battery down to the auto zonez they have a tester they will hook up and tell you if its good or not. that is where i would start since its free. Also check and see if your battery is a maintenance free or low maintenance battery. If it has caps on the top of it to access the cells it is low maintenance; if no caps it is maintenance free.

If it is low maintenance check the levels of the fluid (be careful!) If they are low you can add DISTILLED WATER (ONLY) to the cells. there is a fill line inside there usually. Add the water and charge it up; That may save it from the garbage (take it in).

Otherwise have the auto zonez check it and if it toasted you can get a new one from them. Be warned you'll pay about $70 for one, but its a decent battery w a 2 year replacement and 7 year pro-rated warranty.

Good luck, keep us posted on what happens!

Quick Reply: killin my battery