1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

92 dodge dakota heater core replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 12:22 AM
92Dak4x4
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 dodge dakota heater core replacement

yeah hi i have a 92 dakota v-8 that i need to replace the heater core in, and i was wondering if anyone had any advice and if anyone knew if theres a way not to have to diconnect any of the air conditioning hoses because i really would like to avoid the freon all together
thanks guys

Old 10-06-2010, 09:43 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have heard you can do it without diconnecting the AC, but the ONLY way I see that happening is by removing the lid off of the heater box before you drop it, which I would not attempt. It is hard enough to get the box out as is without trying to work in the tight space you have under the dash without pulling the box, and personally, I don't see how it can be done without risking damaging things.

My advice, discharge the AC and just plan on taking somewhere to be vacuumed out.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:15 AM
blueskiessav
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, not sure if you've heard of this before, but I'm having issues with my heater core too. If you aren't "smelling" the core and it's an issue with it heating the interior, I'd give this link a try:

http://www.dodgedakotas.com/boards/v6/453-3.html

I found it the other day... about a quarter of the way down, a reference to "Dan's flush" that tells you how to easily backflush the core. It may be something as simple as that, allowing you to avoid replacing the core if you're not positive its bad.

Quick Reply: 92 dodge dakota heater core replacement