1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

A short, informative story

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 11:36 PM
swapdip
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A short, informative story

So I have had my Dakota for a couple months now and I really like it. However, I am coming to realize that I bought it from a guy who was not very mechanically inclined. His solution to electrical failures was simply to mount a toggle switch on the dash and hardwire the device to the battery, so the left side of the engine bay is a nest of multicolored wires. Presently I can control my rad fan, heater blower, ac condenser, and the radio from various toggle switches all over the dash, thanks to his redneck ingenuity. Not the best solution in the world, but I told myself that if any of his mods fail, I will just restore it to original conditions.

Anyways I got up today with my mind to chase down the problem behind my climate control. See, when I flip the switch to turn on the heater blower, I hear that thing blowing its little heart out but nothing comes out of the vents. So I had a couple of theories as I started taking apart the dash, like a vacuum line failing to open, or perhaps some of the tubing came apart, or even a super rusted up and clogged heater core not letting air flow thru, etc. However, my motto when doing automotive diagnostics has always been check the easiest stuff first, and way more accessible than the motor or heater core was this bunk-*** toggle switch the PO installed.

Now, as anyone ought to know, when you reverse polarity in a DC motor, it turns the opposite way. So I undid his wiring and switched the wires, started the truck, and flipped the switch. What do you know, the fan blew about 2 pounds of cobwebs right out of the vents, and continued to blow its little heart out, I guess the entire time it was just blowing in the wrong direction. Still only one speed, but I don't care, just so long as I get my defroster back.

So what is the moral of this story? There is a huge range in mechanical aptitude of shadetree mechanics, it pays to check the easy stuff first, and thoughtful diagnostic brainstorming is always way better than just diving right in there.

How many toggle switches do you guys have on your dash? With my new fog lights, I'll have 6, not including the hazard lights of course. Blower, ac condenser, rad fan, radio, fog lights, and my air horns.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:14 AM
gladiator
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

funny,

i saw a car once where the owner couldn't figure out how to fix his turn signal stalk, so he wired in individual toggle switches on the dash with separate flasher circuits.. one for left, and one for right. This was on a 62 pontiac, so when he turned both on he had 4 way flashers. way before these were factory options. He was real proud of this.

you seen any other butcher jobs?

Old 10-10-2010, 01:57 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

LOL! Switches work.

I got 6 additional switches.

I got 2 HD toggles for my aftermarket electric fans. 1 High 1 Low, 4 fans with relays.

2 rocker switches 1 for the Front KC lights. 1 Rear KC light.

And 1 rocker that was for my Amp. Now it is nothing. I had removable subs in the back. So when I removed them I would need the switch to shot off the Amp.

1 push button switch for the Alarm/remote starter system, a program/anti-theft switch.

I guess I could also say the rear magnetic switch for the sliding window, to set off the alarm. Also the hood pin switch for the alarm. But those are not in the dash.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 10-10-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:03 AM
luthoro
Professional

I once had a POS vehicle that the wiring harness was in such bad shape I had to do the toggle switch thing. The radio, headlights, radiator fan, fuel pump, and blower motor were all on toggle switches mounted to the dash. Because it was a $200 car and I just didn't feel like replacing the whole damn harness. Funny thing is, that POS got me around for about four months before the head gasket blew, at which point I decided it was time to fix it right. I replaced the headgasket, redid the wiring harness, and replaced banged up body panels, spray painted it and sold it for $1200.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:45 AM
swapdip
Rookie

Originally Posted by luthoro
I once had a POS vehicle that the wiring harness was in such bad shape I had to do the toggle switch thing. The radio, headlights, radiator fan, fuel pump, and blower motor were all on toggle switches mounted to the dash. Because it was a $200 car and I just didn't feel like replacing the whole damn harness. Funny thing is, that POS got me around for about four months before the head gasket blew, at which point I decided it was time to fix it right. I replaced the headgasket, redid the wiring harness, and replaced banged up body panels, spray painted it and sold it for $1200.
Sweet deal, always nice to get paid for work you were gonna do anyways.

My dad has a story of an old Gremlin he had back in the day, he had to install a toggle switch for the starter after it was stolen, and seemingly every weekend it blew itself out. Finally he had enough and picked up a giant knife switch, the kind you grasp with your hand rather than fingers, and just mounted right ontop of his dash. Looked kind of like Dr. Frankenstein's car, but then again it did anyways with all the different colored panels.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:59 PM
veejr
Amateur

I'm ready for the switch route. Which wire on a 93 dakota is for the fuel pump?

Old 10-10-2010, 07:48 PM
issakar
Captain

you keep asking things related to that in different posts...

Old 10-11-2010, 08:17 AM
89newbie
Captain

LOL the knofe switch thing. Had a friend back in the day that did that. His ride was one of those super old Fiat Junk things and parts were not available. His Generator was bad, Remedy, remove the tiny rear seat, a battery on the left a battery on the right and a knife switch in the middle. One Battery got him to college, the other got him home. The Fiat spent the evenings in the barn batteries on charge. True American know how at its best. Rofl

Old 10-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Deerkiller9991
Veteran

only 2 switches (one for my 4 fog lights and the other isnt being used currently), 5 push buttons for horns, sirens, etc.

IMO switches are addictive lol

Quick Reply: A short, informative story