1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Stupid Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 01:08 AM
DakDaddy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Question

I'm new to most of this stuff and this is probably really simple. But what I'm wanting to do is install about 5 DC/Cigarette lighters in my truck for cell chargers, radar dectors etc. How would I go about this exactly? If anyone could just dumb it down for me that would be great so I won't jack anything up.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:21 AM
gladiator
Rookie

go to the store and get one of those octopus power plug adapters. these are available in 3 and 4 hole versions and i saw one recently with two USB ports.
can be messy, but can't do it wrong going this way.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:24 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gladiator
go to the store and get one of those octopus power plug adapters. these are available in 3 and 4 hole versions and i saw one recently with two USB ports.
can be messy, but can't do it wrong going this way.
Yes they are cheep and very easy to use. Here is a pic of one. You can buy them from most auto parts stores and even Walmart.

You can buy universal ones with mounts.

I installed 3 in my truck.
1 under the dash for my XM. So I could use the stock for other stuff when needed.

1 under the rear seat in the middle. For chargers ect so I can keep it out of the way.

1 in the corner of the bed. Incase I need to run an air pump or something like that.

All of them have all time power including the stock one (Rewired it).

Here is a pic of one with a mount. Buy it from most auto parts stores.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:17 AM
DakDaddy
Rookie

Those are what I'm wanting to install, I'm going to make a panel for them and mount it on the dash somewhere, but I'm not sure about the wiring. Like where would they go to, needed fuses and would it be safe exactly. I want to keep the original adapter but not have it cluttered up with the 4 way octopus deal.

Last edited by DakDaddy; 10-10-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:24 AM
tmacdakota
Veteran

I'm not a AC/DC hound or an electrician, but I wouldn't put that much extra draw on my stock electrical system. I would wire it to a second battery, easily removable for charging, and placed for easy access. This is commonplace in boats that have to run numerous accessories.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:37 AM
DakDaddy
Rookie

That's what I was thinking, using a second battery just for the extra accessories.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

LOL! That will not be pulling that much extra power that a 2nd battery is needed. Even if you were you were running 4-5 cigarette air compressors it is not needed.

I suggest HD wire directly from the battery, and a direct ground. You could do individual fuses or 1 master fuse for the circuit. You can get them from Radio Shack.

I would move it down. I think it looks ugly up higher.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do yourself a favor and get a hardwire kit for your Radar detector and mount it high on the windshield.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:20 PM
DakDaddy
Rookie

Well that's good to know I won't need a second battery, like I said I new to most of this. The picture of the dash I posted was just a quick mock up, still not sure exactly where I'll be putting it in. Probably under the dash where the stock radio was to take up the space. So direct wires to the battery with a master fuse, works for me, thanks.

Quick Reply: Stupid Question