1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Problems with a 318. Maybe a fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 07:23 PM
'96 Dakota 318
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with a 318. Maybe a fuel pump?

i have a '96 dakota with a 318 v8 with 4x4 and it seems to have a few problems. when i let it sit for a while and i try to start it cold it has to turn over for a while like its waiting for fuel to build up or something. i just recently put slick 50 engine treatment in when i changed my oil and i also used the slick 50 fuel system treatment in the gas too. also i put a new filter assembly and new plugs and wires on it too. the next day it ran really crappy to say the least. but the next day it ran better but i still have the starting problem along with absolutly terrible mpg's. im thinking it might be the fuel pump. any suggestions?

Old 10-10-2010, 07:59 PM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by '96 Dakota 318
i have a '96 dakota with a 318 v8 with 4x4 and it seems to have a few problems. when i let it sit for a while and i try to start it cold it has to turn over for a while like its waiting for fuel to build up or something. i just recently put slick 50 engine treatment in when i changed my oil and i also used the slick 50 fuel system treatment in the gas too. also i put a new filter assembly and new plugs and wires on it too. the next day it ran really crappy to say the least. but the next day it ran better but i still have the starting problem along with absolutly terrible mpg's. im thinking it might be the fuel pump. any suggestions?

Next time you let it sit and it's going to be hard to start try priming your fuel pump a couple times by turning the key to the run position, let the pump "hum" then turn the key off. Do this a couple times before you actually try and start the truck. That procedure allows the pump to build up pressure before you try and fire. If that helps the problem then you have fuel pressure related problem that could certainly be the pump.

Good luck, let us know what happens!

Old 10-11-2010, 05:05 PM
'96 Dakota 318

thanks. it worked so i guess im gonna have to replace the pump. what would be easier to do? take the bed off or just drop the tank and do it that way?

Old 10-11-2010, 07:02 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran

Removing the bed is easier than dropping the tank IMO. Six bolts on the bed, rear light harness disconnect and filler/breather hoses at the filler neck need to be undone. That gives you access from the top...also a good time to clean/inspect the frame and replace rear shocks, etc.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:27 AM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by tmacdakota
Removing the bed is easier than dropping the tank IMO. Six bolts on the bed, rear light harness disconnect and filler/breather hoses at the filler neck need to be undone. That gives you access from the top...also a good time to clean/inspect the frame and replace rear shocks, etc.
^ +1, beat me to it. Yes removing the bed is easier because with it off you have all the access you need. When I did mine I also did the shocks on the rear with the bed off. It's good idea to do it because they are cheap and easy and usually need to be done, lol.

Make sure you have a buddy or 2 to help you with the bed. My buddy and I did it and honestly I tore up my arm doing it; hasn't been the same since. An extra person would have probably helped a lot, ESPECIALLY putting it back on.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:10 AM
thx997303

Personally, I drop the tank.

Use a floor jack and it only takes one person.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:28 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran

Put a lift ring on your bed, pull up under a tree and use a come-along to raise the pump side of the bed. Make the swap and put it back down. I'm a BOB (big ol'boy), so I can do it by myself, but use leverage if you can.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Deerkiller9991
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO I think taking the bed off is alot easier than dropping the tank (I dont like messing with those damn straps)

Also look at the pictures, so many other things you could do, I painted the frame, fixed my gas gauge (easy) and if you wanted to you could do muffler/exaust work alot easier, and it just looks badass without a bed lol but I had someone help me remove it, and an impact wrench. and as your doing it, the frame makes a perfect seat lol

Name:  RESIZE83.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  42.1 KB

Name:  RESIZE76.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  30.8 KB

Old 10-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Deerkiller9991
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but another thing, be careful with the filler neck when removing and replaceing the bed

Old 10-12-2010, 06:51 PM
festerw
Veteran

If the key trick works it doesn't automatically condemn the fuel pump. All it means is that there is pressure leaking down somewhere. You should test the pump output pressure before replacing the pump.

Quick Reply: Problems with a 318. Maybe a fuel pump?