1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

concerning engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 08:46 PM
issakar
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default concerning engine noise

Hi friends!

As you may have read I just finished fixing the main issues with my starting issue. I let the truck run for a few today after getting started just cuz it has been a while. I noticed a sound today that I havn't noticed previously and it concerns me. I have a video I am posting to show it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V6z7J5jTd8

You get to see the awesomeness of the truck starting and all, but right around0:16 you can hear a clicking/tapping sort of noise. I don't know if this is bad or not but it just doesn't seem "right".

It gets more interesting with this second video. the first half is dark but if you turn up the volume you can hear a slow light "tap...tap...tap..."
This is right after the first video right after i shut the truck off. Video sucks, first half is completely dark and second half is very blair witch project. You're totally excited now, right? lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk0GRmBmrvk

Anyway, the plan for now is to finish adding the trans fluid back in. I noticed a LOT of smoke coming out from around the transmission but im fairly certain its the fluid we spilled on that exhaust pipe burning off.... (i hope...)

Anyway, off to do some junk n things; I should probably clean up my mess outside.

Cheers!

Old 10-15-2010, 02:37 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It could be anything. First check your oil levels. Next find out where it is coming from, like from the left or right side. Top or bottom of engine.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:01 AM
issakar
Captain

Crazy,

Thanks for the response. Oil levels should be good, I will double check them now that there is light. I just did the oil about a month or so ago and havn't really driven. Do you agree that the sound I am hearing is something of concern? I was eyeballing a mechanics stethoscope the other day and now its looking as though i have a justifiable reason to get one.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yea it is something to be concerned about. I don't know if a stethoscope is necessary with how loud it is. But ya get it if wanted.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:21 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Crap. I think I got the same thing. I thought it was just lifter tick/valve noise and my exhaust that might be a lil leaky...

Old 10-15-2010, 02:38 PM
issakar
Captain

Hmm. Was really hoping I would finally be done fixing things for a minute. Oh well. I am gonna run into harbor freight after work and grab a scope. I'm sure it'll be handy since I have issues distinguishing direction of sounds sometimes.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:57 PM
pashadowops
Veteran

I'm not saying its nothing to worry about but, it would be worse if it were like a deep knocking within the engine. At least this sounds like its in the heads like a valve tap. I would absolutely look into it. Engines are not supposed to make tapping sounds of any sort but, you already knew that or you would not have asked if you should be worried, right?

Old 10-15-2010, 10:18 PM
issakar
Captain

Hi everyone,

I picked up the scope on my way home from work. This thing is handy and at 5 bucks it was cheap enough. I just got in from checking things out and I can hear the sound strongly (if that's a word) from the driver side valve cover. Interesting tidbit, I let the truck warm up a bit and as it warmed up the sound lessened. I checked the oil levels and all looked good.

SO I have a theory. My truck doesn't get driven, it spends the majority of its time in the driveway being worked on. Also being that I am located in Michigan the weather is starting to get chilly. PERHAPS, the issue is that since it sits so much all the oil drained down into the pan, and since it's cold the oil is thick, it is taking a longer time to get to the upper part of the motor. I have a 10w-40 in there right now, perhaps i need to get a 5w-40? does that even exist? None the less a lighter weight oil for the colder temps. Now, don't get me wrong, it's not snowing nor anything, but it has been getting down into the 40's here. I could see that having an affect.

Lemme tell you the good news. When I got this truck it ran like bad..... WOuldnt idel worth a damn, ran rough, etc etc. This thing seems to have a solid idle now. I'm happy about that, an oil hange ,pcv valve, air filter, and some other things i can't remember really helped even it out.

I want to get this thing on the road! grr....but i ramble and digress.

Thanks for all the info. Can anyone think of what it might be given the updated info I have supplied?

Thanks a lot!

Old 10-16-2010, 02:26 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain

That just what I was hoping it is since were both in MI. I just got an oil change a month or so ago and I'm sure the noise wasn't happening until it started getting chilly. That and I don't drive that often and I'm parked on a slight incline where the engine is higher so your theory might be right lol

Old 10-16-2010, 09:51 AM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by melodytoinvent
That just what I was hoping it is since were both in MI. I just got an oil change a month or so ago and I'm sure the noise wasn't happening until it started getting chilly. That and I don't drive that often and I'm parked on a slight incline where the engine is higher so your theory might be right lol
I'm kinda waiting on someone to approve/deny my theory. It seems halfway logical, but at the same time its not really THAT cold out right now (maybe a little, its currently 39 at 9:50am) taking into consideration the temp ratings on oil.

Of course I wouldn't mind if a simple oil change would fix the issue... lol.

One thing of note I found is that my valve covers have a bit of a leak to them. I can see where oil seeps out slightly so something I should probably address.

Quick Reply: concerning engine noise