1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Headlight Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 06:24 PM
Tiwtin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Problem

My headlights have been having problems ever since I bought the truck. Supposedly they are out of alignment or something and aren't bright enough. They only show about 10 feet in front of me and about 20 feet with my brights on. Any help on how to fix this?

Old 10-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You can adjust them. Check out the service manual for the direction on how to. If it is not bright enough check your power and ground feeds.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Road Hammer
Professional

Originally Posted by Tiwtin
My headlights have been having problems ever since I bought the truck. Supposedly they are out of alignment or something and aren't bright enough. They only show about 10 feet in front of me and about 20 feet with my brights on. Any help on how to fix this?
They are halogen bulbs, whenever they are "on" they use a little bit of the gas. If the bulbs are old (5+ yrs) I would start with new bulbs. The lenses are probably cloudy too, so use a polishing wheel/pad on your drill and some cut-polish compound and finish with a good wax. We just did this to my sons 99 Ram and the difference is amazing!

Old 10-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Tiwtin

Originally Posted by Road Hammer
They are halogen bulbs, whenever they are "on" they use a little bit of the gas. If the bulbs are old (5+ yrs) I would start with new bulbs. The lenses are probably cloudy too, so use a polishing wheel/pad on your drill and some cut-polish compound and finish with a good wax. We just did this to my sons 99 Ram and the difference is amazing!
So just clean the outside of the headlamps?

Old 10-17-2010, 11:17 PM
Tiwtin

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
You can adjust them. Check out the service manual for the direction on how to. If it is not bright enough check your power and ground feeds.
I couldn't find out how to adjust them in the owners manual. I googled it though and Anwers.com said to take it to a dealership to get it fixed =\

Old 10-17-2010, 11:33 PM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by Tiwtin
I couldn't find out how to adjust them in the owners manual. I googled it though and Anwers.com said to take it to a dealership to get it fixed =\
You need to probably check in the Factory Service Manual. there is a link to a service manual in FAQ1 on the main 1st gen dakota forum. Should be a post a few above this one.

Quick Reply: Headlight Problem