1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Transmission Delay

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010 | 07:34 PM
issakar
Captain

Mine cleared fine. I have 2wd tho

Old 10-23-2010 | 09:44 PM
DakDaddy
|
Rookie

Well I did it! Without raising the truck or removing the front driveshaft, but I won't go into detail just yet, heading out to dinner and I'll post the details tomorrow.

Old 10-23-2010 | 10:26 PM
issakar
Captain

Can't wait to hear the details! NIce cliffhanger... lol.

Did you fix the delay problem?

Old 10-24-2010 | 11:33 AM
DakDaddy
|
Rookie

First of all let me tell you that this job was a pita, straight up lol. Being big and not having much wiggle room was hell, that plus not raising it or dropping the front driveshaft. I started taking the bolts out then I went to get my universal joint, low and behold! I couldn't find it, went to advance they were sold out. So I was sol, but luckily my old lady was dropping the kids off with granma so I had her pick one up, took forever for her to get back though. While I waited I went ahead and installed the CD player and mounted the CB.

Got the remaining bolts off somehow, if you don't have a flexible hand/fingers then forget this job lol. Dropped the pan cleaned it all up and installed a drain plug, which is a must for next time. Replaced the filter. Putting the gasket back on wasn't nothing, just set it on there and screw all your bolts right into it and viola! no having to hold the pan while you try to put the bolt back in through a 1/4 inch space.

Felt like forever getting them all screwed back down, a ratcheting combo wrench is mighty handy for this on tight places. Done with it all, put 4 quarts back into it and it registered full on the stick, then took her around the block a few times warmed the fluid up. Checked fluid level and it wasn't even on the stick but I had nowhere I could get any ATF+4 so that's gotta wait until today when I go out.

It still delays but I'm not conclusive on that because of low fluid level, and I remembered right when I was filling it up that I had forgot to adjust the rear band! but atleast when I go back to do it I won't have to take a trans fluid soak.

So in conclusion filter/gasket change went good other than doing the last half in the dark, I'll get some more fluid today, get the level right and see if that helps the delay. Would look adjust the TV cable today but most of the day will be used on getting the kids and such. So if your wanting/needing your filter/gasket changed DO IT YOURSELF, it's a whole lot better than paying someplace 217$ in my case. Update again tonight hopefully, thanks everyone.

Old 10-24-2010 | 11:49 AM
issakar
Captain

Congrats on a job well done! Substantially less money than paying the shop isnt it? It would be nice if the added fluid fixed your delay issue.

Old 10-24-2010 | 01:17 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Why were trying to take off the front driveshaft? It is not in the way of the pan.

Old 10-25-2010 | 08:10 PM
DakDaddy
|
Rookie

A while back when I was reading a Haynes manual they suggested dropping the front driveshaft or something I don't remember. I can't find mine to see for sure and I can't find one online so blah. But I didn't have time last night or tonight to add the fluid so hopefully tomorrow

Old 10-30-2010 | 11:52 PM
DakDaddy
|
Rookie

Well got the fluid level right and took her out for a ride, at first it didn't seem to help the harsh delay but after taking off from lights awhile later I hardly feel the shift now. Took it to work and off to my uncle's for brake shoe replacement. BUT earlier I had to literally make a 10 point turn in my uncle's yard around 3 vehicles to get the bed near the door to get my new/old big screen Anyway a few times when I would put it in drive, press the throttle it would delay on first gear then engage, and even once it died on me. So I don't know, look around tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Transmission Delay