1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Transmission Delay

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010 | 06:14 PM
DakDaddy
|
Rookie
Default Transmission Delay

OK the transmission has a delay between 1st and 2nd gear, it drops into 2nd late, but it's not a harsh drop. I went to an auto shop to get a transmission flush and have them change out the filter and replace the gasket since it was leaking noticeably. Since I've had the truck (which has only been since Sept. and only driven from VA to WV, and once to advance) I've kept the fluid level to par. But anyway I went to the shop and told them what I wanted, the guy said that after having it flushed the new fluid would most likely mess up the clutch, I'd have to sign a waiver to do the flush. I told him I wanted the filter and gasket replaced also, so he started writing a ticket up on the computer and said the flush would be 110$ and the filter/gasket replace is 217$!! And that's with me giving them the filter kit and 4 qts of fluid!

So my questions are these:

217$ ridiculously high for a seemly simple replacement or am I off my rocker a little bit.

Would a transmission flush really damage the clutch and or transmission it's self?

And lastly could I just fix the delayed engagment and replace the filter/gasket myself without any extensive tools?

Sorry for the novel.

Old 10-21-2010 | 10:15 PM
issakar
Captain

I did a filter and gasket with 4 qt of fluid for about 40 bucks........ I didn't do a full flush obviously because i don't have the time/materials nore do i think it's needed. As far as the waiver and all I have certainly heard of scenarios where because of the stuff suspended in the fluid no loner being there it can cause things to fail. No personal experience on that, just hearsay from the intertubez.

Old 10-21-2010 | 11:00 PM
kahanabob
Captain

i flushed my 90 with 150K miles helped, they said the same thing but i did it anyway. they say the flush backflushes the filter so no replacemant neded there. your call...

Old 10-22-2010 | 12:10 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain

When I first went to my shop, they said $150-$170 for a flush with new filter and stuff but with a filter/gasket kit it and 6 quarts it was lik $90. So if anything, ask the shop what ya need and ask how much it is after you buy the **** and if reasonable, do it. I paid for a flush cause I know Dodge trannys arent the best and the truck sat for 2 years before I bought it so I flushed everything.

Old 10-22-2010 | 12:15 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain

And its ran fine with all that but a low idle and that tranny flush helped with shifting outta park, normal shifting, and gave back a ton of torque. So in the end, I'd do it anyway. Just at least look around for pricing and see how much it is after you buy everything.

Old 10-22-2010 | 01:34 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

For the shift problem you can try adjusting the TV cable. Check the FAQ in this section for a write up on it.

Old 10-22-2010 | 03:46 AM
DakDaddy
|
Rookie

Originally Posted by melodytoinvent
the truck sat for 2 years before I bought it so I flushed everything.
That's the reason I'm wanting the flush, this thing sat forever before I got it.

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
For the shift problem you can try adjusting the TV cable. Check the FAQ in this section for a write up on it.
I'll probably do that and if it fixes it get the flush done afterward, that is if I can find a place that doesn't want my first born in exchange lol.

Old 10-22-2010 | 08:52 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

If you decide to drop the pan and change the filter, put it up on a set of ramps and make sure the pan will clear the crossover exhaust pipe. The pan in our 1992 (5.2) won't clear the crossover. And the price they quoted you was awfully high! ! !

Old 10-22-2010 | 08:55 AM
issakar
Captain

put down some cardboard or something to catch the mess you make too. Trans juice will stain ur driveway, lol.

Old 10-22-2010 | 06:10 PM
DakDaddy
|
Rookie

Originally Posted by issakar
put down some cardboard or something to catch the mess you make too. Trans juice will stain ur driveway, lol.
FOR SURE LOL driveway is already a mess from the previous owners.

And I believe the pan clears the exhaust pipe, I hope so atleast, cause I looked in the Haynes manual awhile ago and it said you have to take the front driveshaft off for it to clear. But I'll see it all tomorrow sometime I hope.

Quick Reply: Transmission Delay