1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Dome Light & Headliner & Water Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 05:44 AM
OzarkMark
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dome Light & Headliner & Water Leak

The headliner has been sagging for some time so I tore it out a couple days ago and went to Wally world in the fabric department and got some nice gray material for $2.44/yd. 2 yards was enough to do the headliner and both visors.

I also decided that it was time to put an additional dome light in the front since the rear one over the back window is worthless.

I went to the local scrap yard and got what looks to be a Gm 1500 dome light and put it in the headliner while I had it down.

See the pics http://ozarkmark.smugmug.com/Trucks/Dakota

Tomorrow I will put it all back together and take some final pics. I still have to seal the roof strips on both sides of the Ext Cab, but I want to take the bolts loose and chip out the old caulking so I can do it right & there are no more puddles in the jack storage area or passenger floorboard.

I also need to locate a jack kit. This one was missing the entire thing and I don't have the hex tool to lower the spare.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Cool. I had to glue up my headliner this year.

Ya the stock light is insufficient, especially in the Club Cabs. I took my lighted review mirror from my Trans Am when I first got the truck. That lights it up perfectly.

Ya lets see some more pics, when you get them.

If needed I believe Walmart even sells the Jacks kits.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:26 AM
OzarkMark
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Finished one project, found another.

I put the headliner back in and gooped the cab strips. Just to prevent further headaches down the road, I noticed that the strip not only has bolt holes, but it covers a seam from the roof and the side pillars where it is caulked together. So if you decide to do this fix, take some sealer and run along the entire bottom seam as well as copious amounts around the bolts and inside nuts.

Also right at the top corner of the door, I noticed that there was a hardened caulk that had chipped off, so I put a dollop over that opening. (See attachments)

While I had the back panels off for the headliner fix, I checked the rear speakers. They have been sounding scratchy for a while. I noticed the paper cones are warped/deformed causing the voice coils to rub the magnet. Now I have to find some 5 x 7's.

The radio was toast too, about 6 months ago, it worked fine, then all of a sudden lost all FM reception. It still gets AM and plays cassettes, but no FM, so that makes it worthless for Sirius. I pulled the AM/FM/CD out of my Intrepid today and slid it in place and noticed that 3 out of 4 of my speakers are bad. To that end, it won't pick up my Sirius Stratus either unless I put it in the passenger window as close to the antenna as I can get it. Sheesh... Talk about a money pit....

Attached Thumbnails Dome Light & Headliner & Water Leak-dakleakfix.jpg   Dome Light & Headliner & Water Leak-dakpasdoor.jpg  

Quick Reply: Dome Light & Headliner & Water Leak