1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

trying to adjust idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 03:11 PM
iowadakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trying to adjust idle

I'm a new dakota owner. I have a 92 4x4 ext 5.2. I noticed it idles a little lower then i like so i tried to adjust it by the set screw on the throttle body. When i do screw it out a little bit to get faster idle it starts acting like an old carb. engine loading up. When i back it off its fine. So i backed it out. When i just push down on the throttle it does the same thing. My dad had a complete throttle body so i swapped all the sensors out. tps,map and air. Is there anything else i can check? No check eng. light comes on. It also has a fairly new tune up.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The IAC Idle Air Control vale is the typical reason for idle problems. They are very problematic even new. The set screw is not meant to be used to adjust idle. Due to the IAC will adjust the idle back to what the computer wants. Try replacing the IAC.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:34 AM
iowadakota

I swapped it out with a used one. When i unplug it thier is no change. Is there a good place to get a new one. Or is there a wireing diagram i can check the wires going into it?

Old 11-07-2010, 09:23 AM
DakDaddy
Rookie

Autozone has them for about 40$ Adavance is 57 but they price check i you tell them to.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:39 AM
iowadakota

I have also noticed it dies a lot in reverse. And at 1/4 throttle it runs like its loading up. But once you get it on the road its fine. Just around town it runs like crap.And when you put it in reverse you can hear the fuel pump slow down. Could i have a bad ground or a short from pump the reverse lights?

Last edited by iowadakota; 11-08-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:26 AM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran

just a quick question, the past couple of days here in Columbus, the weather has been preaty cold and the rpms at idle on my truck have gone up around 200 rpms, is it because of the cold weather or is my truck deciding to act up

Old 11-08-2010, 11:50 AM
misfitdakota_95
Professional

Originally Posted by InnerCityHillBilly
just a quick question, the past couple of days here in Columbus, the weather has been preaty cold and the rpms at idle on my truck have gone up around 200 rpms, is it because of the cold weather or is my truck deciding to act up
the cold weather does affect idle quality. Based on the signal that the coolant temp sensor is sending to the computer, it will in turn compensate by raising the base idle. Once you get up to operating temperature, it should return to normal. My 95 V6 does the exact same thing and give it about 15 minutes and it's back idling at 750 RPM @ idle.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:17 PM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran

the problem is that the add 200 or 300 rpms gets me to 600 rpms at idle, it normaly idles at 200 to 400 which is not good

Old 11-08-2010, 07:44 PM
iowadakota

I replaced the iac tonight with a new one. same thing. When you are taking off out of the drive way in reverse or at a stop light if you just slightly push down on the throttle it will stumble and die. Other then that running fine just a pain in the but in town.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:19 PM
DakDaddy
Rookie

Originally Posted by iowadakota
I replaced the iac tonight with a new one. same thing. When you are taking off out of the drive way in reverse or at a stop light if you just slightly push down on the throttle it will stumble and die. Other then that running fine just a pain in the but in town.
I had to go back and get a replacement new one, but still had the problem with the second new one. So we might have bad new IACs or bad wire somewhere. Have you checked your wires?

Quick Reply: trying to adjust idle