1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Horrible headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 04:47 PM
tndakman
Rookie
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 11-15-2010, 05:50 PM
festerw
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You for sure need to upgrade the wiring it's barely adequate for stock plus without relays all the current will go through the headlight switch and burn it out quick.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:34 PM
9652dakota
Veteran

it's gonna be awhile before i can take any pics of my setup. i just kind of threw it together so i could go. a few tips. solder and heatshrink everything. i mean everything. also i mounted the switch under my hood so that if jonny law does pull me over for it i can just turn them off without any perm mods required. i won't put in the seperate switch when i add my fog lights to supplement my lows though (since there is no law against that). i'm going to mod myne again when i add the fogs aswell. i used to really be into car audio so my ranger is donating some 4 ga wire a power block and a 90 amp breaker. also use the inline fuse holder for the added lights because if you run a larger wire to power highs and driving lights or lows and fogs then your wire for the added lights will be smaller so it is a safety thing that you use it for that branch ckt. i also added a 20 amp for my h beams (seperate from the d lights.) for further protection. the relays have got to be 30 amp or higher (i used forty since combined my lights pull 20 amps and this give's me plenty of room for additions later. doing this will give much longer switch life since it's not being the load bearing contact anymore. also your lights even stock are brighter this way. alott of that is the ground (was in my case anyway) if you want to be little more concealed and not have driving lights (large or small) then you can do i did on my ranger. i used a relay to run both the high and low beams when i turned on the high beams. not much more distance but right infront where i needed it (was a 2 wheel open dif) it was pretty bright. housings never got hot either. 170 was the hotest i saw on them with silverstars in it and after adding the relay i took those out in favor of slightly lower wattage but longer lasting bulbs and it didn't seem to hurt it any.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:53 PM
97dodge4x4

yer headlights might be out of adjustment

Old 11-17-2010, 12:02 AM
MoparMan1995
Professional

Thanks guys.

Yeah that's one thing I forgot to mention is that I have had different mechanic's check my headlight adjustments and they are aligned properly.

tndakman, I checked out that headlight test report link you posted and it looks like I'll be picking up some GE Nighthawk Platinum's as soon as I can. Also, when I get around to it, I'd like to still install those driving lights too like I mentioned in my earlier post. Always seems like there's so much to do and so little time, lol.

Quick Reply: Horrible headlights