1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1989 Dakota build questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 03:28 PM
j_parnin55
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Dakota build questions

i have an 89 dakota 2.5L 2wd 5spd that im looking to put some work into. i know this isnt the most practicle idea but i would like to do a 360 AND 4wd swap. i have come here for ideas on which 360 is best, how to go about getting 4wd parts and what to get them from, and other miscellaneous information regarding such a project. for example, which is better: EFI or carb. things like this. all help and ideas are greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:32 PM
siggie30
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That will be quite an undertaking. I would, personally, start with the engine, and when that is done, proceed to the suspension/ front axle swap. Ultimately, it is not cost effective, unless you can buy another truck (read: cheaply) with the options you want and do a complete change over. I hope your cab is near perfect, otherwise I would say buy another truck.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:13 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ya it would be very time consuming to do, and depending where you get your parts it can be expensive. But it is possible.

You can do EFI it will be more involved with wires electronic fuel pump ect. It will be best for stock setup as far as MPG and HP. I say the extra time is worth it. Go with a 93-95 Ram 5.9 Magnum. That will be the easiest setup. 96-up will involve more work, but can be done.

Carbs can be a very simple setup. But not really the best for MPG and HP.

As for the 2wd to 4wd, you can do what i did which is a frame swap. Find a wrecked complete 4wd Dakota same body style as yours and put your cab/bed on it.

Or you can do a SAS which will involve cutting welding ect.

Or do the easy way. Get a truck with all the options you want. But that is not the funnest way.

Quick Reply: 1989 Dakota build questions