1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Saggy rear

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:26 PM
kturner
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saggy rear

We've been driving the dakota off and on for a couple months, but today is the first time I've actually used it as a truck. Someone I know cut down part of a tree and I went to get it for firewood. The dakota is a 96 slt 2wd 3.9l with a toolbox in the bed. I was surprised at how much the rear of the truck dropped when I put the wood in. It really wasn't that much wood. It was probably a few inches below the side of the bed, and the toolbox means that only 6' or so of the bed had wood in it (toolbox was empty). Before I unloaded it, I measured from the bottom of the rear bumper to the ground and it was 9". After I unloaded the wood, it raised to 13" and after I drove it back to the driveway, it had settled at 16". Do these numbers sound about right? Any tips on improving?

Keith

Old 11-23-2010, 08:38 PM
siggie30
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A: The springs are 15 years old.

B: I do not recall the weight of a chord of wood, but it will stress the springs noted in A.

C: You can "add-a-leaf" to increase stiffness under load, but did it rub or sway?

D: It's a work truck, right!!!!

Old 11-23-2010, 10:39 PM
VINCE 91
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out TIMBREN.COM. I have installed these on many trucks, including mine. When the truck is empty, it sits and rides like stock, but when loaded, holds the weight and handles like a dream. I put 4200 poungs of gravel in my '91 D200, and it sagged pretty bad. I put the Timbrens on a month later and hauled 4100 pounds.It sat one inch above level in the rear and handled perfectly. They only take about 20 minutes to install, usually no drilling, just need a wrench. I don't have them on my Dakota yet, but will. I also had a 2500 pound camper on my '74 D100 with the Timbrens on it. I swear by them.

Quick Reply: Saggy rear