1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Odd noises

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:48 PM
totman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd noises

I got 2 odd noises that are buggin the hell out of me. The first one I'm pretty sure is the timing chain - I've heard that dakotas are known for that, is that true? The second I think is the transfer case - sounds odd when accelerating almost like a chain is dragging on the ground, any ideas? Truck runs great and everything works as it should. But those noises bother me.

Any help is appreciated

Old 11-24-2010, 12:57 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Your guess is best, since we can't hear it. Both are possibilities. Try to find out exactly where it is coming from.

As far as the timing chain, it is not a common problem. But it should be replaced just like any engine with high mileage.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:09 AM
totman
Rookie

I'm pretty sure the transfer case is making one of the noises, I'll look into it more today.

But the timing chain rattle I had looked at. I was told that even if I decided to install a new one that the noise would probably still be there. I was told that the 3.9 v6's are known for loud timing chain rattle at idel. Seems odd to me.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:49 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my cousins durango made the same chain dragging noise, and it turned out be a hole in the transfer case. that would be the first place i'd look.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:42 PM
ddgdkt96
Professional

I just changed my timing chain, and there is no more rattle, be sure to use a new style tensioner, or the double rollers that are available.
Also, the line up is on TDC for cylinder #4, not #1, keep your bolts separate so you know which area they go, and be sure to have a pulley puller available, the type with the bolts that screw in.
You'll figure the rest.

I found a weird noise that was a rattle, and it turned out to be the bolts on the inside of the trani that hold the plate, had come loose. Weird because as far as I know, no one has ever worked on the trani.
good luck

Old 01-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Soundguy
Professional

Originally Posted by ddgdkt96
I just changed my timing chain, and there is no more rattle, be sure to use a new style tensioner, or the double rollers that are available.
Also, the line up is on TDC for cylinder #4, not #1, keep your bolts separate so you know which area they go, and be sure to have a pulley puller available, the type with the bolts that screw in.
You'll figure the rest.

I found a weird noise that was a rattle, and it turned out to be the bolts on the inside of the trani that hold the plate, had come loose. Weird because as far as I know, no one has ever worked on the trani.
good luck
I have a mysterious rattle similar to the ones listed above. It's not severe, but it's there. The weird thing is, it doesn't miss, runs strong, shifts well (tranny was recently rebuilt before I got it.)

Flexplate?
Timing chain?

I just don't know.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:19 PM
mazda7475
Veteran

it's probably the timing chain. it actually stretches and starts to rub against a tab located at the center left of the cover on the inside. the sound will travel through the drive train. i thought my tranny was going before i put a new timing chain on, (hard to tell from inside the cab).
i heard that it was a problem to. after i swapped the chain it ran great, noise free, $25 CDN and a couple hours work.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:04 AM
TannerV

i heard a weird sound too, i crawled under and seen this.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:28 AM
ddgdkt96
Professional

Oh oh, I think you need a new timing chain cover

Old 01-03-2011, 01:42 PM
TannerV

no, I need a new t-case

Quick Reply: Odd noises