1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Pitman arm removal Ques again

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Richiewis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pitman arm removal Ques again

Am trying to replace the Pitman arm on a 95 Dodge Dakota 4x4. Rented a Socket kit and puller kit,do not have enough clearance to use the puller effectively.Have soaked shaft w/Pb Blaster and it will not budge.Got a crowbar between arm and steering box but don't know if I can ruin steering box shaft or not.Any ideas are appreciated.Their looks to only be about 3" clearance between the frame and the steering box shaft which isn't enough to get a small puller straight.Thnks for any info.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:25 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The best way is to remove the lower 2 bolts that hold down the steering box. Loosen the top one but do not remove. Then you can swing the box into a positing where the puller will work. That is what I used to to do.

The other option is to cut down the bolt on the puller, so it can clear the frame. Which is what I did. Of coarse if you do it on a rent a tool you can't return it, but you have a tool for next time. But they don't care if you don't return it, you already paid for it.

Also you could of posted in your other thread with this question.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:59 PM
will4557
Veteran

I agree! What I did was take the bottom bolts out and loosened the top on so that it will rotate! I got a nut that would fit the bottom bolt and put it back in so that it would hold the steering box from swinging back down and also allow you to pull on the puller! I put a puller on it and had a small propane torch to heat it up as I turned it. After I got a lot of pressure on it i pecked on the old pitman arm with a hammer and it popped off.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to cut almost all the way through my pitman arm with an air saw and die grinder for it to finally come loose.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:29 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on removing 2 of the steering box bolts. Works wonderfully (since Dodge didn't put a little notch/cutout in that crossmember).
I tried to get my Pitman arm off, but it never came. I ended up replacing the steering box, but I also needed to replace the P/S lines, and those broke off in the steering box too, so I was asking for it!

Old 11-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Richiewis
Default Pitman arm

Thanks much guys for all the good tips ! Appreciate them all

Old 11-28-2010, 11:54 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It was a PITA to get mine off, hammering on it for a long time and lots of penetrating oil. Guess if you live in areas where they salt every winter it might add to the problem.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Richiewis
Default pitman arm ques update

Your suggestions for removal of pitman arm were great!
Pivoted the steering gear box and secured it so could get a good straight shot at the steering gear shaft.More pb blaster and some heat and air wrench on the puller.Took about 10-15 mins and off it came! Thanks to everyone who responded.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:07 AM
89newbie
Captain

THanks for the reminder. After reading this i realized it was time ti grease the lil beasts.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Richiewis
Default Pitman arm ques again

Followup,replaced pitman arm and steering wheel was 1/2 turn off.Removed arm and found that the splined in flat spots were about 2 teeth off! After making a career out of this project,pay the extra money and get quality parts.The brand I tried was "OE BRAND". Ended up putting in Moog and it was cut just fine. FYI
Richiewis

Quick Reply: Pitman arm removal Ques again