1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 06:31 PM
creative-customs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights?

Hello again, so I bought new headlights for my 94 4x4 dakota. Old ones worked but werent near bright enough. I put the new ones in and seem fine. I take it on a road trip over thanksgiving weekend and traveled mostly at night. I turned the brights on when needed and they were nice, but after only a little bit(the times varied from aroune 1-5 min) my lights would flicker once or twice and then all lights off! It only does this with the brights on. To be more clear, all interior lights were fine and voltage gage was to. Has anyone else had this problem. Thanks

Old 12-01-2010, 12:54 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Most likely it is due to the switch. They should have installed relays for the individual lights, they draw to much amps. The switch has a circuit breaker built in. That is why they were flashing. Then maybe it died. Did you recheck the lights a day later when it was a cold start?

If needed replace the switch, and install relays.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:10 PM
9652dakota
Veteran

the added beniffit to adding relays and larger wire is that you can run driving lights or fog lights and not have to add switches in the cab. saves some pain if you think the3 switches are and eyesore.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:55 PM
creative-customs

I never did a cold start check on them, when they are on they stay on for a bit and then begin to flicker quick and shut off. I turn off the brights and low beams are fine and immediatly if i want to i can turn the brights back on but after a bit same thing. Im hoping the relay idea will work for it.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:45 PM
creative-customs

What really sucks is I cant get it to do it in town, only when im goin down the highway.

Quick Reply: Headlights?