1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

BAD gas maileage in the winter....

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I didn't read it all but just in case some one didn't say it already.

Gas stations use a winter mix type of gasoline. It has some chemical that is an antifreeze agent in it. This is in higher doses up north in the colder areas.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:27 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3.9l93dakota
ok, so where to start... vehicles dont have a winter or summer mode set into the pcm. theres no such thing. the only thing that changes in the pcm from winter to summer is how long it stays in the open loop cycle. your mechanic is raping you for fixing nothing....

second, if you dont want your motor to burn oil, you'll wanna let it warm up for at least 10 min, and not drive it hard until its fully warmed up (ie. hard acceleration). the intake plenum was not designed properly and has a huge oil burning defect.

third, what was your gas gauge at when you started it and let it idle for 30 min shadowthedakota? couldnt have been too far off the e line to begin with. ive idled mine for an hr because i locked the keys in by accident and the gauge didnt budge. in all reality, you have about 3 and a half days before you run outta gas at idle from a full tank..
about the pcm thing... the nice thing is its my dad who told me that(i thought it was bull too) he's the one getting ripped off(he deserves it too)

it was between 1/4 tank and E

Old 12-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Applehugger
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

second, if you dont want your motor to burn oil, you'll wanna let it warm up for at least 10 min, and not drive it hard until its fully warmed up (ie. hard acceleration). the intake plenum was not designed properly and has a huge oil burning defect.
This simply isn't true. All the plenum bypass valve does is equalize the pressure in the crankcase with that of the surrounding atmosphere. Once the truck has run for a few seconds and the oil has covered everything in the crankcase, you're good to go. The temperature of the motor will not have any effect on oil leaks. My motor has over 160,000 miles on it, still running strong, and none of the previous owners ever let it warm up in the winter. I do agree however that the truck should be driven gently until the motor fully warms up.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:03 AM
JDakota92
Veteran

Idling kills gas mileage. And as it was stated above, the colder temps cause the engine to take longer to warm up. When was the last time you changed the thermostat? The "winter" gas around here is oxygenated. In laman's terms, they add alcohol to the gas. It's mainly used in heavily populated areas to help reduce tail pipe emissions which contribute to winter smog that can form. The addition of this alcohol also has the side effect of killing gas mileage which causes the truck to use more fuel. Go figure.

Last edited by JDakota92; 12-12-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:20 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

you guys dont know about the intake defect then do you? our intakes are made out of aluminum, and the plenum plate is made out of steel. because of the different expansion rates, the plenum gasket blows out all the time, and causes the engine to burn oil. hughesengines.com offers a plenum fix to solve the issue. it replaces the stock steel plenum with a 1/4 inch aluminum plate and aluminum gasket to match. but without the fix done to the engine, if you do not let it warm up AT LEAST 10 min, and then you drive it hard cuz your in a rush, your gunna cause the motor to burn oil really bad. i know from experience. mine was blown out in 2 spots because of the way i drove it in the winter. i know idling kills gas milage, but its whats gotta be done if you dont wanna order the fix and dont want the motor to burn oil...

Old 12-13-2010, 09:36 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

you guys dont know about the intake defect then do you? our intakes are made out of aluminum, and the plenum plate is made out of steel. because of the different expansion rates, the plenum gasket blows out all the time, and causes the engine to burn oil. hughesengines.com offers a plenum fix to solve the issue. it replaces the stock steel plenum with a 1/4 inch aluminum plate and aluminum gasket to match. but without the fix done to the engine, if you do not let it warm up AT LEAST 10 min, and then you drive it hard cuz your in a rush, your gunna cause the motor to burn oil really bad. i know from experience. mine was blown out in 2 spots because of the way i drove it in the winter. i know idling kills gas milage, but its whats gotta be done if you dont wanna order the fix and dont want the motor to burn oil...
i knew about the plenum fix and such already. i did learn a lot though

Quick Reply: BAD gas maileage in the winter....