1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

96 Dakota will not idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 04:53 AM
el8232
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Dakota will not idle

The truck will not idle when cold. It will just die if you don't keep your foot on the gas peddle. It will keep runniing if you keep it above idle. It will run after it warms up. What da yoou think?

Old 12-11-2010, 05:23 AM
blown 346
Rookie

Im not that familiar with the first gens,( im new to dodge) are they TBI? Does it have a choke?

Old 12-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Most likely the IAC Idle Air Control valve, the are problematic. Just replace it, even new ones are bad.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:12 AM
el8232
Default No choke

no choke. Im going to replace the Idle Air Control today.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:08 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have your battery load tested. Sounds like the battery is about to give up the ghost and these trucks do not want to idle if the battery is not at full charge.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:31 AM
tmacdakota
Veteran
Default Will not idle

Originally Posted by bwdakrt
Have your battery load tested. Sounds like the battery is about to give up the ghost and these trucks do not want to idle if the battery is not at full charge.
Say what??? The only thing the batt does is provide voltage to crank/start the engine...after that it's up to the alt to provide power and send some current back to the batt to charge it.

Check your IAC. Have you run/pulled the codes? Could also be the EGR...that can affect how the truck runs, too, at all speeds.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:41 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by tmacdakota
Say what??? The only thing the batt does is provide voltage to crank/start the engine...after that it's up to the alt to provide power and send some current back to the batt to charge it.

Check your IAC. Have you run/pulled the codes? Could also be the EGR...that can affect how the truck runs, too, at all speeds.
If the battery is getting weak, the engine will start but it will not want to idle. The reason it will idle fine after it warms up is because the alt is bringing it back up to full charge. These trucks want to see a fully charged battery or they do not want to idle. Been there, done that.

As for the EGR suggestion, he has a '96 and it's a non-EGR system (OBDII). '95 was the last year for the EGR equipped engines (OBDI)

Old 12-12-2010, 06:29 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran

If that's the case, why will my truck run and idle when cold if I take the batt out after it starts? The batt only provides juice to start the engine, at least in every vehicle I've owned since 1969. Maybe your Dak needs glasses.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Spennyman1
Rookie

Originally Posted by bwdakrt
I have to agree. Your fuel pump needs a certain amount of voltage to run. When you take the battery terminal off when it's running the voltage is coming from the alternator. A low battery will also kick on ABS lights and what not. Because they too require a steady voltage to operate. Just my 2 cents. Speaking from experience by the way. Happened on a customer's Volvo when I was a service manager. Saved him $700 dollars.......

Old 12-12-2010, 08:25 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by tmacdakota
If that's the case, why will my truck run and idle when cold if I take the batt out after it starts? The batt only provides juice to start the engine, at least in every vehicle I've owned since 1969. Maybe your Dak needs glasses.
I'm just giving you some advice as to what the problem may be. If you want to take it, fine...if you don't, that's fine too. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 96 Dakota will not idle