1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Oil everywhere...missing gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 02:14 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oil everywhere...missing gasket?

I went to start up the newly rebuilt 5.9L engine and it kicked over fine, then I heard a squeak and oil started spewing from the oil filter. I took the filter off and noticed that the machine shop hadn't tightened down the oil filter adapter and hollow threaded center piece good enough. The filter was sealing fine. So needless to say, I have 5 quarts of oil on my garage floor but I killed the engine so no damage was done. I am wondering if there is supposed to be a gasket under the oil filter adapter? Or is this a metal on metal seal? I didn't see one called out in the FSM, but then again I didn't see much about it in the FSM.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:31 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i do believe it is just a metal to metal seal. the edge of the oil filter should have a built in gasket to seal around the edges. what might of happened is maybe the filter cracked from being overtightened, or maybe it just needed to be tightened a bit more. look at the filter and inspect for cracks. if there are no cracks, you can put it on and just tighten it properly. or just buy a new one. theyre not that expensive..

Old 12-12-2010, 02:38 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker

The oil adapter itself was loose after the blow out. I cannot find it in the FSM, but NAPA sells a gasket for it so I am thinking it maybe should have a gasket.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:20 PM
dobaroy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have one on an older 360 LA motor and our one definitely has a gasket.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yea it has a gasket. It might be a flat O-Ring. Same thing happened to me. If you bought a full engine gasket rebuild kit, when you rebuilt it, you may have the gasket.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:03 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok then i was wrong. i wasnt 100% positive cuz i havent really looked too too close while doing an oil change.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:41 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker

I have the gasket from another rebuild kit I bought, so I fixed that problem. Wasn't hard but was sure a mess. Couldn't find a torque spec for the oil filter adapter either so I just cranked it down pretty good.

Quick Reply: Oil everywhere...missing gasket?