1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Transmission Swap Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011 | 11:12 AM
lag
|
Default Transmission Swap Issue

I'm not much of a transmission guy so please excuse my inexperience, plus I am moving so I don't have the repair book handy.

The transmission in my 95 Dodge Dakota Pickup went out. I went on the word of the mechanic that they only had two transmissions for this year/model/etc which was identified by the bolts on the pan. I pulled out one from a truck of the same year with the same bolts and all was good until I went to hook up the wires. My old transmission had oval with three wires and the new one is round eight.

Is there any way I can splice the three into the six, or is there some kind of adapter? I can't upload pictures and I don't know what the difference between the two since my camera and manuals are packed away.

Old 01-02-2011 | 11:57 AM
jnjinfla
Rookie

It sounds like your truck had a hydraulic controlled transmission and you replaced it with an electric transmission. Appearance wise they look the same. The "RH" transmission only have electronic controls for the overdrive and torque converter lock up, everything else is hydraulically controlled. The "RE" transmission are completely electrically controlled. As far as I know you cannot splice the wire in to make it work. I am pretty sure they used "RH" from 91-95 and that "RE" was 96+. Since 96 is when they went OBD2 and when the computer started controlling the transmission I don't think there will be a way for it to work in your application. Yours, like my 92 is OBD1 and our computers and wiring harness are not equipped to run the "RE."

Old 01-02-2011 | 12:40 PM
lag
|

Well that's bunk, ah well. Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Transmission Swap Issue