1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

87 Dakota, Rusted Fuel lines, Soft lines?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 03:32 PM
sam oseroff
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Dakota, Rusted Fuel lines, Soft lines?

Hi, I have an 87 dakota that was slowly leaking fuel before, but its leaking it pretty bad now. I did some quick searching and the general consensus is that you need the entire fuel line "bundle" be it from a dealer or junkyard? Is this really true, or can I buy a standard piece of line (like brake line), and just hook it up?

Also, theres really only one small rusty part under the truck. With the carb only pushing 4-7 psi, would it be okay to cut out the section, replace with soft line, and double clamp both ends? Thanks,

Sam

Old 01-04-2011, 05:12 PM
siggie30
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sam oseroff
Hi, I have an 87 dakota that was slowly leaking fuel before, but its leaking it pretty bad now. I did some quick searching and the general consensus is that you need the entire fuel line "bundle" be it from a dealer or junkyard? Is this really true, or can I buy a standard piece of line (like brake line), and just hook it up?

Also, theres really only one small rusty part under the truck. With the carb only pushing 4-7 psi, would it be okay to cut out the section, replace with soft line, and double clamp both ends? Thanks,

Sam

You can repair breaks with a short section, but replacing the entire line with rubber is a short term solution. I would not personally buy a prebent line, but bending your own (and flaring) is just a exercise in patience. I would figure $1 a foot of line (5/16 or 1/4 for return), and the tools will be $15-25 depending. If your not too savvy then by a kit. You could use brake line (up to 300 psi strength) for fuel, but your definately overkilling it. Standard rubber fuel line should be rated to 30 psi (read the side), and EFI line is rated higher. An costly option is braided line, but hard line is the best repair.

Last edited by siggie30; 01-07-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:07 PM
chaindrive67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I just had to repair a rusty "bend" in all 3 of my fuel lines. I just spliced in some good rubber fuel line (bout 2ft) on all three. $20 bucks, and 45 min later I'm good to go!

Quick Reply: 87 Dakota, Rusted Fuel lines, Soft lines?