1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New and looking to trade my Yota T100 for Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011 | 04:10 PM
north ga mopar
|
Default New and looking to trade my Yota T100 for Dakota

Hey yall first post-

I have a tight T100 that I got from a guy that kept it up really good, it has 243k on it but drives way smooth- I like it but I don't love it..I know down here I can get near 4k from it..I miss having a v8 and I always loved the sizes and looks of the first gen Dakotas..There is a guy that wants to trade a 93 5.2 for my T100 straight up..He has done alot the truck 165k on it says transmission is good but has minor things wrong like faulty gas gauge, crack windshield, interior lights going out...my truck is good but another 10k and its gonna need timing belt water pump, maybe rack and pinion work as well.. my question is for people that have delt with Toyotas- will the 5.2 hold up to the 3.4 Toyota as far as reliabilty and what other things should I look for with his ride- Thanks

Old 01-04-2011 | 05:20 PM
siggie30
Captain

Originally Posted by north ga mopar
Hey yall first post-

I have a tight T100 that I got from a guy that kept it up really good, it has 243k on it but drives way smooth- I like it but I don't love it..I know down here I can get near 4k from it..I miss having a v8 and I always loved the sizes and looks of the first gen Dakotas..There is a guy that wants to trade a 93 5.2 for my T100 straight up..He has done alot the truck 165k on it says transmission is good but has minor things wrong like faulty gas gauge, crack windshield, interior lights going out...my truck is good but another 10k and its gonna need timing belt water pump, maybe rack and pinion work as well.. my question is for people that have delt with Toyotas- will the 5.2 hold up to the 3.4 Toyota as far as reliabilty and what other things should I look for with his ride- Thanks

The 5vz-fe is a superior motor compared to ANYTHING that has been built by Chrysler (including the Hemi). While the Toyota is getting 190 hp, and is a V6, it is an import and parts are costly, the V8 is less efficient, but easily repaired here in the U.S. I would keep the Yota, and save for a Dak that you want, but like you said "it's not in your heart" (or words to that effect). The T-100 is technically a better work truck.

Old 01-04-2011 | 05:52 PM
Bump
Veteran

Originally Posted by siggie30
The T-100 is technically a better work truck.
Until you need to pull a 9000 lb trailer loaded with concrete to the dump... for work.

Old 01-04-2011 | 10:35 PM
89newbie
Captain

Take the dodge, kiss him on the cheek and disapear. Present Mileage alone is a good enough reason. Fuel guage normal problem windshield it happens. V-8 verses six, agree with 9000 trailer comment.

Old 01-04-2011 | 11:20 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

What year is the Toyota? Just like anything RELIABILITY all depends on how it was treaded and kept up on maintenance. Make sure you test drive the truck first, drive it at all speeds and check all the fluids. There may be a reason he doesn't want it, after all he didn't keep up on maintenance.

Old 01-05-2011 | 11:56 AM
siggie30
Captain

Funny, funny guys. I have gone from the Dark Side (Toyota) and embraced Ma Mopar myself. The Toyota is a better vehicle and the trader knows it.

Originally Posted by Bump
Until you need to pull a 9000 lb trailer loaded with concrete to the dump... for work.
Does the OP need to pull a 9000 lb trailer? If so, then he should not be using a Dakota as that exceeds their design limit almost by 100%.

Originally Posted by 89newbie
Take the dodge, kiss him on the cheek and disapear. Present Mileage alone is a good enough reason. Fuel guage normal problem windshield it happens. V-8 verses six, agree with 9000 trailer comment.

Mileage is a poor reference of state of machinery, and is only a guide to the wear of the suspension, ancillaries, and interior on vehicles. Visual inspection/measuring of the shortblock internals is the ONLY true representation of an engines health.

In closing, it should be known that Toyota micropolishes their crankshafts to a few Microns, as opposed to US builders tolerances of a few hundred thousandths. Japaneze tolerances are better than US, because we are a disposable economy, and they are not. We say big inch, they say long lasting. Look in the recycle yards, and look how many GM/Ford vehicles are there compared to the imports (especially toyota and nissan). Yes, I understand that we are in the US, and as so there will be more native vehicles, but look at the age of the vehicles in the scrap yards.

Last edited by siggie30; 01-05-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-05-2011 | 12:19 PM
Bump
Veteran

In closing, it should be known that Toyota micropolishes their crankshafts to a few Microns, as opposed to US builders tolerances of a few hundred thousandths. Japaneze tolerances are better than US, because we are a disposable economy, and they are not. We say big inch, they say long lasting. Look in the recycle yards, and look how many GM/Ford vehicles are there compared to the imports (especially toyota and nissan). Yes, I understand that we are in the US, and as so there will be more native vehicles, but look at the age of the vehicles in the scrap yards.
<Ripped and modified from a Ron White comedy skit>

"Dont come in here and try to convert me. Your not gonna convert me. I didnt climb to the top of the @^(#'!N food chain to burn rice!"

Old 01-07-2011 | 10:57 PM
north ga mopar
|

well- the deal is that it is not a daily driver..just a weekend hobby/doin stuff around the house truck..yes the T100 and other Yota trucks are something else and unless you have one you have no idea, 22re- 3.4 v6 are beyond reliable.

BUT I like Dakotas as well ecspecially the older ones..but I don't know all that much about them..what are the trouble spots for the 5.2? my tuck is a 97, alot of miles but were highway miles-

Old 01-07-2011 | 11:51 PM
siggie30
Captain

Originally Posted by north ga mopar
well- the deal is that it is not a daily driver..just a weekend hobby/doin stuff around the house truck..yes the T100 and other Yota trucks are something else and unless you have one you have no idea, 22re- 3.4 v6 are beyond reliable.

BUT I like Dakotas as well ecspecially the older ones..but I don't know all that much about them..what are the trouble spots for the 5.2? my tuck is a 97, alot of miles but were highway miles-

The camshaft is too small, the heads aren't ported, and the exhaust is restrictive. Other than that, I would say typical of other manufacturers.

Old 01-08-2011 | 12:39 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

The camshaft is too small, the heads aren't ported, and the exhaust is restrictive. Other than that, I would say typical of other manufacturers.
i don't know what he is talking about... you won't find ported heads unless you get them new or get it done on a used head. i'm not familar with cams, so no comment there. and '92-'93 5.2l has the bigger exhaust out of the bunch from the factory.

from what i've dealt with toyotas do make a better motor but the bodies tend to rust out fast.

and i agree with crazy, any vehicle that has been regularly maintained, doesn't matter what it is, will last a long time.

my motto is, "respect your truck and your truck will respect you."

Quick Reply: New and looking to trade my Yota T100 for Dakota