1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Help with 92 Dakota Stalling Possible Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 03:21 AM
Sashin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 92 Dakota Stalling Possible Fuel Pump

Hi

My brother borrowed my truck and it died on him while he was driving. He thought he ran out of gas because the gauge doesn't work, so he went and got some gas. He put it in and it started back up, and then stalled out and died again.
He also said it only took 5 gallons, so it wasn't empty.

Now if I try to start it after it sits for a long time it will start for like a second, then die. Then it just cranks but doesn't start.

I'm thinking the fuel pump went out. When I put the key to on, I had my brother and sister behind the cab, by the tank and they said they can't hear anything.

I checked the fuses and they seem good. The autoshutdown relay I'm not too sure of since I don't know how to check those.

The battery is full, it can crank for a while. Also when I put the key to on it buzzes even though all the doors are closed.

I'm about to buy a fuel pump off ebay and was hoping for some more insight, and maybe I overlooked something.

Thanks for any help guys!

Also the check engine flashes the code 12-55 which means power to the PCM was intrupted, I think it's from the cranking and dying though.

And if it is the fuel pump, what you guys think about this set up?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

There is also a carter that is pretty cheap ATM as well.

After doing some searching some people said the fuel pump assembly is different between 93 and before and 94 and up, but when I contacted the
ebay seller he said its all the same. Is the one I linked up for mine?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for any responses.

Last edited by Sashin; 01-07-2011 at 03:40 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes it sounds like the fuel pump. You may want to test the fuel pressure first before you change the pump. It could be a clogged filter or a bad fuel pressure regulator.

Yes the 93-down are different, but it is not 1 for all years.

Yes the 94-up are different.

Yes the ebay one could work.

I would recommend an autoparts store, for if there is warranty issues. Napa or Dealer will be best for quality.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Sashin

Thanks for the response Crazy. I remember I had an issue a couple years back and you helped me out then too.

Can I check it from the test port here? I'm pretty sure the 92 and 93 are similar.

http://autorepair.about.com/library/...bl658a-lib.htm

I changed the fuel filter less then a year ago, but it might have gotten clogged again if my brother lied and let it run out of gas.

Will there still be pressure if its clogged?

Old 01-07-2011, 06:22 PM
ne14t
Rookie

You can still get pressure but it may not be enough, your fuel control is based on the flowrate of your injector combined with the pressure of your fuel rail. Most fuel injected systems usually run in the area of 45PSI. We used to use a rising rate fuel pressure regulator to trick injectors into spraying more because of higher fuel pressure usually in older turbo applications where getting higher flow injectors or fuel pump is a little more tricky, anywho I digress. If your fuel filter is full of crud it will not allow as much flow out and will lower your fuel pressure to say maybe 30PSI if it builds and holds pressure then your pump is fine and its probably just a filter.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:03 AM
Sashin

I know its been a while, had the truck sitting.

Well I finally had time to get down to it and I removed the bed, and replaced the fuel pump along with a new fuel filter.

The car started for like a couple minutes prior to this before I turned it off, and wouldn't crank over.

After I installed the new fuel pump/filter, it still wouldn't start. The gas gauge works now though, and I can hear the fuel pump prime. It didn't make a sound before when it was dead.

I'm thinking it might be the PCM now? The black box on the passenger side I think. It makes a loud buzzing noise when I try to start it and keeps buzzing a high pitched noise for a while.

I took off the cover, and the wires look ok. They are not cut or corroded.

What you guys think? Also, got any recommendations on where to get the PCM if that might be it?

Quick Reply: Help with 92 Dakota Stalling Possible Fuel Pump